S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me how this improves traction and how much and how it lowers the rear end.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
It softens the rear suspension allowing better weight transfer. Doesn't lower the rear any. Better if used with front drag shocks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to figure out what to do. I have zq8 stock suspension with home made slapper bars that hit under the leaf eye on my truck now. I just put new 245/50/16 z rated tires on that hook pretty good. I was going to take the slappers off put 1" lowering blocks on to even the tuck out and use a set of spring clamps for wheel hop(no third shock). Then I heard about removig the over load for traction, but if I remove it and then put spring clamps on won't that defeat the purpose.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I'm not familiar with spring clamps(?) What kind of hp/ quarter mile times are you looking at? I'm using 2" angle blocks and SSM lift bars with minimal wheelspin(street tires, haven't run slicks yet)I'd estimate I have 230 rwhp or 295 net hp.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring clamps I have are sold at Auto Zone. You clamp the leaf springs together in the front to get rid of wheel hop, makes the spring pack like a traction bar. I don't know yet about 1/4 times maybe low 14's. Hp maybe 230rwhp.I go to a 1/8 track but they closed for the season before I got the supercharger on. The best I got witout it was a 9.903 with a 2.294 60' on 265/55/16 Bfgoodrich Ta's. I haven't heard alot about SSM lift bars, will they fit my 2001?What I'm really looking for is the best 60', but it is a daily driver.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
SSM's should bolt right up, slicks wouln't hurt either. My best street tired 1/8 mi. pass was [email protected], slicks would prolly shave a tenth off of that. You have a posi or equivalent?Were you having wheelspin probs. before?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The spring clamps are an old Chrysler trick from the 60's.Stock classes couldn't use traction bars.Clamping the springs stiffens them keeping them from wrapping up and wheel hopping.

I took the helper spring off my 82 and it did drop some.Maybe an inch?

Like Rhansen said slicks....Tires will make the biggest difference drag radials, ET streets,ET drag any thing made to bite.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know slicks would lower my 60' but I want to be as fast on the street as on the strip.

Randy406 did it make a differance in the way your truck handle like in the corners when you took off the helper springs?

Rhansen Can you tell me anything about the SSM bars? Isaw a pic of them and they looked like slappers but they clamped onto the leaf spring behind the eye. Are they adjustable. Idon't see how they work on springs with different arches. In the Jegs book they are listed for $161 for 83-92 s-10's. Is that the same set that fit your 82.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing if i took out the overload spring that would make the lift bars about 1/2" closer to the rest of the spring pack. Do you think they would still work?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
They'll work without the overload leaf. Only adjustment is putting shims under the snubbers. SSM's replace the spring pad and shock mount. Uses axel twist to "lift" the front of the truck and plant the rear tires. If you're getting mad wheel spin they can't do their job. Have to match tire diameter and gearing against engine torque and stall speed. May need to make some changes to get to hook on street radials. 2.02 is a pretty mediocre 60' time but not bad for street radials.
EDIT:yes they're the same PN

·
Registered
321 Posts
My truck doesn't handle.90/10 shocks up front,no sway bar,15x3.5 rims,w/26x7.50 tires (VW size) and my headers dump in the wheel well between the tire and the frame.This adds 3/4 of an inch to my steering stop on each side.It's built to go fast in a straightline.

In your case I don't think it will hurt your handling as long as you keep the rear sway bar and decent shocks.

You will see a difference with the SSM bars the first thing will be alot more body seperation when you launch.

If you want to run fast on the street and at the track go with Drag Radials. Just be prepared to replace them often they are soft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts