S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Do they make remote starters for vehicles with manual transmissions? I cant seem to find one. I just don't wanna "jerry rig" the factory safety switch on the clutch to find that after i started my truck from far away that it was left in gear and took off down the road without me. Is there and way to hook up the remote starter to think the manual trans is an auto and still have the safety of not starting in gear? I would be doing this to a '96 s10 with a 4.3 5 spd.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
i was gonna do that too cuz i gots a manual trans...the shop told me that imma have to do it some where else cuz they dont wanna be respondsible for the damage if any...if i left it in gear.....

i was supposed to buy a sr20 240(rice) before i bought the truck...it was manual..and it had the remote start..but i guess he did it on his own...

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
sr20 240 nissan? hardly call that rice. some people were talking about it in another thread, and everyone said no legitimiate installer would put a remote strat in a car. you also have to think about what would happen if you loaned the car to someone and they left it in gear, then thought it would be cool to start it remotely.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
yea SR20DET 240SX...i dont care if anyone flames me for wantin to own a rice car..sheit im asian..i live off of rice :p :D
but yea wen i let my dad them use my truck they leave it in gear..woulda sucked..unless u know how to like make it so that the remote start disables if it's in gear..ya know?

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
My bro in law put a remote start on his 92 awd talon tsi 5speed, lol, he bypassed the clutch so it wouldnt have to be depressed to start and one day at wal mart he started it remotely, whoops left it in gear, smacked a truck and killed it, lol, if you get it done just be careful.

·
12,507 Posts
hell 03, you probably heard about the shit thread that 0-60 was in 262, i just wish i was keeping the ka24de to play with. the sr20det is one sweet-ass engine. that would be one hella engineering thing, to make a computer detect whether the vehicle is in gear and have a link to move it into manual.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
hell 03, you probably heard about the shit thread that 0-60 was in 262, i just wish i was keeping the ka24de to play with. the sr20det is one sweet-ass engine. that would be one hella engineering thing, to make a computer detect whether the vehicle is in gear and have a link to move it into manual.
aw shit man u had a ka24? dayum..i wish i had atleast that..then i woulda dropped in a black top sr20...haha lets talk about his somewhere else lol....they gonna tie us up and drag us down the road lol

but yea, i wonder if someone could do that dectecting in gear thing...i would do it if i found someone who did that..

·
12,507 Posts
03, check your PM's. im sure the gear detect can be done, its simply a metter of running sensors, and installing a bit of computer software that could disengage the remote start if the computer sensed the vehicle was in gear, thus it could only be started in neutral.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i know of one company that makes one for a manaul. it is compustar. it has to be tapped into your e-brake so it knows it is on, and also your door trigger pin. to make it work, when u shut the vehicle off you have to set the e-brake and then restart the truck for a moment then get out and shut the door or some shiit like that. now if anyone opens the door and does not reset the system it will not remote start.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'm in the process of putting a python 1500 esp in my truck with remote start. i have a manual, but i havent bypassed the clutch yet because i'm trying to figure out some sort of safety incase it does start in gear. maybe a switch to the e-brake, where it wont start without the e-brake on. or try to find some way to sense its in nuetral

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
I have never kept it in gear when I parked it. I put in Neutral with the E-brake on. and also get a sensor that won't let it start without the E-brake engaged, can't be to difficult.

·
Registered
876 Posts
most vehicle ebrake wire reads ground when the e brake is engaged. i know that python remote starts have a neatrul safety wire that has to be ground for it to work. it's a small black wire with white stripe. i usaully just hook it up with the main ground wire, but it could be used on the ebrake wire. that way if the ebrake is engaged it should read ground.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I installed remote start on a 96 jetta that was a 5 speed. We used the e brake scensor to bypass, If e-brake wasnt pulled it wouldnt start.

·
rollin' on 15's
309 Posts
Mine has a remote starter.(kinda have to in north dakota). the way it works is when you turn your car off, you put it in neutral, set the e brake and then push the brake in and that sets it. It will only turn on in this condition. I dont know what people are talking about when they say they leave it in gear because i dont think it will start while in gear with the safety relay. Unless they installed it themselves......

·
I'm on a boat!
1,522 Posts
1badsdime said:
Mine has a remote starter.(kinda have to in north dakota). the way it works is when you turn your car off, you put it in neutral, set the e brake and then push the brake in and that sets it. It will only turn on in this condition. I dont know what people are talking about when they say they leave it in gear because i dont think it will start while in gear with the safety relay. Unless they installed it themselves......
What they mean is that your truck will start in gear from inside, all you have to do is push the clutch in. If they just bypassed the clutch sensor thing, then you could leave it in gear, and it would just take off when you started it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
it is possible i asked a guy that installs them for a livin, and he said that they are such a hassle to use, you have to park with it out of gear :( have to have the ebrake in, and have to trigger a reset switch as you get out, in other words it is a pain in the ass to use

1badsdime: (kinda have to in north dakota), cmon, it isnt that bad in the northland, only consequtive negative 20 degree nights for a whole week!, my parents would never allow one of those! "wake up earlyer and go start it theyd say!"

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm putting in one now on a 95 ext. cab. Way it works is you set the alarm then shut off the truck. I f you open the doors without remote start it is disabled. Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I an Auto Electrical Tech, I've been been doing everything you could imagine on a daily basis from custom work to diagnoses and repair on pretty much every make.

I have an 02 S10 that I use as my daily driver while Ive been building the engine for my GTP.

mines a manual and I just wanted to suggest a few ideas...

-obviously you can hook the neutral safety wire off of the remote start to the E-brake which works...

-to safely bypass the clutch switch with keeping it still functional, just wire in a relay. I've got a 3yr old son and he loves to play in vehicles, I didn't want him just starting it while it could be in gear.. 30&87 to either clutch wire, trigger it with the gwr status wire.

-take a couple mercury switches (underneath the boot) we use for the hood and angle them on the shifter so that they only make contact in the neutral position.

-dont use the tach wire. use the voltage sense and preset crank time like .8-1.0 second so it wont keep cranking if the engine didn't fire right away (as in more effort to start if it was left in gear) in the cold morning it might take more than one try (Directed does 3 attempts) to start but as least in gear the worst that might happen is 3 hops...you should supervise the initial start anyways

-if you arent 100% sure you left it in neutral... dont use it lol

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
or you can just buy one that manual transmission ready and wire it the right way...you would want to use gwr to trip that relay either...u want to use the negative start. If you use gwr the starter will drag

1 - 20 of 20 Posts