S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notist the 2wd 4.3ls have the oil filter on the block like most engines I was wondering would it be possible to put one right on the block of my 4x4 or is it too tight in there. I know gm must have made the remote system for a reason on the 4x4s but I have a line that's starting to leak and id rather just have the filter like most engines do.

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
its for clearance with the front axle.
but a few have gotten away
with using the short (AC PF47, or equivalent) filter.
but they do say that changing the filter is difficult
due to the proximity of the front axle.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what i figured cuz its in the same place on the block as a 350 right?

if i have to go with a smaller filter id rather just fix the seeping remote filter lines

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
if you do decide to delete it,
you will need to aquire the threaded piece that
htreads between the block and the filter.

·
No longer a pizza tech.
12,165 Posts
that's what i figured cuz its in the same place on the block as a 350 right?

if i have to go with a smaller filter id rather just fix the seeping remote filter lines
theres a how-to fix those here on the forum. it doesnt have pictures but you get a great idea of what you need to do.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ya man I was in sticky on the last page I asked for pics and someone posted a link with pics I'm just Not a fan of remote oil systems on my motors I like em as trouble free as possible.

But thanks man I never though of the threaded peice I guess the located kit just has a bolt in It ay

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't realize that the remote filter was actually stock. Learn something new everyday. Sure makes for a mess in the engine bay when changing the oil.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I think it should be done in like 5 minutes or less I was told to just put a plastic bag under it so it catches all the oil

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
no actually it's very easy to change that filter. no more messy than the 2wd.
Not on a first gen. 2nd gens are much nicer with it under the truck instead of up on the inner fender like the 1st gens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did it on my 94 easily. Steel oil pan.

Just did it on a 2000 I bought, and couldn't get the filter up there. I tried every way. I finally had to trim the front diff. Didn't wana, but I already threw the lines away, and had the fitting. But I got it to fit. It clears fine once the filters on, it's just getting it up in there

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dont want to hyjack, but I have a lifted truck and there is enough clearance to fit the filter back on the block. Where can I get the threaded adapter, just go to a parts store and get one for a 2wd?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
id imagine so

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.