S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I brake for Hombres'
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing a remote mount turbo setup on my truck.

Gonna put turbo just in front of rear wheel on passenger side in the exhaust tract. Putting a big K/N directly on the turbo with a prefilter. Running intake pipe under truck on passenger side up to engine bay, then up and to the throttle body. Using hi pressure oil pump to pump oil to the turbo from the pan. The intake charge will cool enough on the way to the TB so an intercooler will not be needed.

NO space restrictions under the hood
NO additional underhood heat
NO custom exhaust manifolds/headers

Turbo will stay cool and so will the intake air.
Probably gonna use a T03 off a Ford 2.3 turbo 4.

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
neat. Any idea how all that piping will affect lag or whatever the term is? Not a bad idea.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
:rolleyes:

A key point of a turbo setup is to have the LEAST amount of piping/restrictions as possible. With all that tubing youre sure to have some crazy lag, if not some nasty boost spikes..

·
Registered
301 Posts
yeah you'll have like 8 feet of pipe for the boost to travel before it hits the engine, your gonna lag really bad lol...

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
I've been asked to reply by another forum member....SO here goes

Interesting idea. It will work, however will require a little "doing" IMO.

Turbo won't lag terribly, but it will lag some, unless you go with a smaller exhaust housing. seeing as this sounds like a budget build (otherwise you would be putting the turbo somewhere NEAR the engine) a smaller turbo like a 14b or similar from a used Mitsu might be a better choice than the probe unit, however either will work.

They are correct in that there is going to be ALOT of pipe to get pressurized (both intake and exhaust) and that your spool is most likely going to be less than desirable...however that doesn't mean it won't work.

Also, keep the turbo cool is a 2 edged sword. You want the exhaust side to be NICE AND HOT, while you want the intake side to be nice and cool. Turbo work on the principle of heat, and pressure....the heat/pressure drop from one side of the exhaust turbine to the otehr is what does the work, so you want the manifold side of the turbine to be hot and the exhaust side to be cooler....the bigger the difference the more work gets done.

Before you go hacking up your exhaust, also remember you have to run oil (and maybe coolant) lines back to the turbo, and last I checked oil doesn't like to flow uphill, so you might have some draining issues with the oil. Maybe a remote oilpump to keep things "lubed up"???

Either way it's an interesting idea, although I think after all is said and done, making a new manifold would most likely have been easier, and the results will be better IMO.....

Just my $0.002 take it for what it worth.

·
I brake for Hombres'
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An LS1 Z28 recently made 509rwhp bone stock with this setup at 8psi with no intercooler.
It made 320rwhp on the same dyno before the turbo.

There is already air in the intake pipe, the turbo doesn't have to supply all of it under boost, just enough to pressurize whats already there. I don't think there would be any more lag than normal. I would also use an additional oil pump as I stated in the first post.

I didn't just think of this myself, its already been done huge huge success---www.ststurbo.com

see for yourself.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
there is air already there that is true but it takes a lot of air to be under pressure doesnt it. You will have to have a big ass bov because there will be a lot of backpressure on the turbo when you let off the gas and a real damn good wastegate. Getting the turbo mounted in that area sounds easy but IMO It not worth the loss. Just wait or put the turbo where it belongs with the engine not the tires.

·
I brake for Hombres'
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
www.ststurbo.com

see for yourself.

Someone check out this site and then give some feedback.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i knew thats what you were getting at when you mentioned putting the turbo in the back of the truck. you have to remember that v8's produce alot more exhaust than our 4bangers do especially since he's running single exhaust to the turbo from all 8 cyls. so would it work right in your truck? hmmmm...

·
I brake for Hombres'
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh, exhaust is exhaust. whatever air is pushed out at the motor goes through the entire exhaust. There is not less exhaust by the muffler.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
I think what b'balls is getting at is the pressure from 8 cylinders as oppossed to 4 cylinders pushing through a single turbo.If the v8 was running twin turbo,then it would be more like the four cylinder.The v8 is going to have way less spool lag time because it will produce alot more back pressure through a single exhaust.With the perticular application of the turbo at the rear wheels,the four cylinder is going to have a harder time spinning the turbo especially since the exhaust is cooling down rapidly as it travels all the way back it loses some potetial energy.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
What happens when it rains?(1)The filter is going to get drenched and the water is going to be ingested into the engine,or mud even.(2)The water is going to wash out the oil in the filter and then it won't trap dirt particles like it is supposed to.(3) I was always told never thow cold water on to a hot engine so splashing through a puddle could possibly crack the turbo housing.I think this kit is not foul weather friendly although it's not a bad idea and is pretty original.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i was going to say it was original but since u got the idea from a web site ya whatever

if u were goin to do it id run a sepearte oil tank in the box wiht a pump and filter and all that.

it will lag more, its simple physics, its the same principle that hydrolic systems work off of, i wont argue though whatever

you will need a huge bov, maybe two or three?

if you have problems wiht lag you can hook up a nice ignition system with one coil per cyl and all that jazz, have it spark twice, once in the normal spot and again when the exhaust valve opens, this will burn the rest of the fumes and make for more exhaust pressure.

to decrease lag after shifting you can run a extra bov, instead of having it expel the pressure to the outside air you can have pipe it into the exhaust right before the turbo, this cause a massive increase in exhuast temp and pressure, u could run it so it does this all the time but you would melt your turbo before you know it

over all this is not an effecient setup this set up blows it would take more work then just putting it in the engine bay

dont give me that crap about the z28 makin 500hp at the wheels BLAHH Thats crap for a motor that started out at 320 and has a turbo, dang thats only a 59% increase on power wow that sux for a turboed motor that would only be about 156 rwhp on our trucks

sorry to be an ass but think about things first

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
this is the stupidest idea ever. and dont give me this crap about "well, mustard would say this anyway"

jm_2thow is right... lag is essential and too much back pressure would cause a problem

Read Corky Bells Turbo book and rethink your idea...

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I don't see how even an LS1 posted numbers like that with this type of setup.....also, what type of throttle response would this have, your air is being sucked in from behind the vehicle, traveling through all that piping, then exhaust heat (heat is what really makes the turbo make power) which you're hardly getting any of BTW, pressurizes the mile of piping......I actually don't see why in the world this would work! Its so damn inefficient. Also, your K&N is going to be sucking up lots of water back there.....guess it wouldn't really be a problem due to the piping, but still......I just wouldn't trust it....even if your turbo got hot enough to make power, when you ran throught a puddle it might crack the housing or something stupid like that.....I laughed when I saw a post similar to this on the LS1 forum.

Caleb

·
Registered
214 Posts
mustard_madman said:
this is the stupidest idea ever. and dont give me this crap about "well, mustard would say this anyway"

jm_2thow is right... lag is essential and too much back pressure would cause a problem
That sounds like something mustard_madman would say.

Though remote turbo mounting is not ideal, it is practical in many applications. STS makes several remote mount kits that work rather well. Boost threshold (what you guys are incorrectly referring to as "lag") is something of an issue, but is easily corrected by running a smaller exhaust housing or changing the impeller trim. A P-trimmed T-3 would probably spool well on a remote mounted 2.2L.

www.ststurbo.com

-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts