S-10 Forum banner

Remote Door Locks

687 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rebel n Dirt 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 Blazer. I did not get a key fob to lock and unlock the doors. Was this even an option in 2001? It is a fairly optioned vehicle, power locks, tilt, cruise, rear wiper, rear defrost, but no sunroof, power seats, leather seats. I'd like to have remote door locks, even if it means getting an aftermarket unit. Are they hard to wire? I know most of this runs through the body control module.

#3 ·
Look in the glove box at the SPID sticker for code AU0. If it's there you can just buy a 01 Blazer fob and you'll have RKE. Has to be the correct one for that model & year. Not just a GM fob. There are many variations.
If not you'll need to buy an aftermarket and install it CORRECTLY by carefully following the instructions. If they aren't clear enough return it. Viper is very good. An eBay el cheapo will cause more trouble than it's worth. You also do not necessarily need to wire up all the security features or switches or cut wires or add a siren and flashing lights. Just more places it's possible to screw up the wiring. GM's theftlock already prevents theft w/o the correct key.
BTW just because you have AU3 electric locks does not mean it is setup for a fob. It just means you can lock or unlock the doors from inside by pushing a button. The remote needs to have a receiver for the fob which is part of AU0. In the 98-01 era a lot of S-series had electric locks, but not AU0.

#5 ·
The 01 S10 should be self programmable, saving you a bit of $$$. Instructions are online and easy to follow but have all the needed/wanted fobs ready to go first as you will need to program them all at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.