S-10 Forum banner

Remote bags (crazy thought)

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  dillon_b12 
#1 ·
Ok this is crazy and may not work but It is almost midnight and my brain is ticking sitting here at work bah lol

Any who ok,

Hard line fitted with not fluid or air but steel ball bearings the same size as the ID of the line back to back and a special made hydro ram front and rear. (no need for seals ) ;)

Nothing to wear out simply inject the hard line with grease :cool:

And make a bag to ram setup in the bed.

I will work on a drawing and more details in the morning.

We use a setup almost like this at work but different.

also you can use hydro line.. I think. Need to make sure.

#6 ·
they had a setup like this kindof in one of the mag's, the bags were used to compress hydraulic fluid that lifted and dropped the cylinders on there wheels, if thats what ur talking about anyways

#7 ·
97bagdS10 said:
they had a setup like this kindof in one of the mag's, the bags were used to compress hydraulic fluid that lifted and dropped the cylinders on there wheels, if thats what ur talking about anyways
Correct

#9 · (Edited)
Any bend in the tube is going to deform the tube some. only way around that would be to use a ball smaller than the tube, which will rattle, multiply that by how ever many balls you have in the tube and Im sure it won't be quiet.

on the other hand, you could make a setup where there is a small cantilever over the axle, attached to the frame, then run a gnarly cable in a casing (like the parking brake cable) to where ever you want your bags. of course it would have to be a big cable to carry the weight.

#10 ·
motomullet said:
Any bend in the tube is going to deform the tube some. only way around that would be to use a ball smaller than the tube, which will rattle, multiply that by how ever many balls you have in the tube and Im sure it won't be quiet.

on the other hand, you could make a setup where there is a small cantilever over the axle, attached to the frame, then run a gnarly cable in a casing (like the parking brake cable) to where ever you want your bags. of course it would have to be a big cable to carry the weight.
I thought about that It would have to be cast bends or formed bends or hydro line with large sweep bends.,

#12 ·
Damn I forgot I forgot about this .. Ya know that is bad lol

Hmm..

May have to try it out.

#20 ·
larstrak said:
actually... yeah you can

flu·id ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl
d)
n.
A continuous, amorphous substance whose molecules move freely past one another and that has the tendency to assume the shape of its container; a liquid or gas.

ha ha

I think he ment compress as in use to store energy either way a fluid can be compressed. :cool:

anywho I am having a hard time finding cheap balls..

That sounds bad :rotf:

#21 ·
actually... yeah you can

flu·id ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fld)
n.
A continuous, amorphous substance whose molecules move freely past one another and that has the tendency to assume the shape of its container; a liquid or gas.
So when you get water in the engine it ****s up your rods and pistons because it cant be compressed

Technically speaking, water can be compressed, but very little even at high pressures. For
practical design purposes, water is considered an incompressible fluid, that is, its density
does not change with pressure.

#23 ·
DJDAudio said:
ha ha

I think he ment compress as in use to store energy either way a fluid can be compressed. :cool:

anywho I am having a hard time finding cheap balls..

That sounds bad :rotf:
lol You goofy bastard. Yeah, that does sound like a crazy idea though. Hopefully you can pull it off.

#24 ·
98layinframe said:
so whats the point of the steel balls? Why not just run 2 hydro cylinders and a hydro line between the 2? the front cylinder would lift the suspension, the 2nd would be in the bed with a bag pushing it..
Duno. Cyl's tend to have seals go bad and you can have leaking problems.

You would need a major leak to lose a 1/2" steel ball lol

And you could use small OD hard line and make it look awsome :)

And still hop hela high ha ha.

#25 ·
ummmm....the strenth of the tubing that these balls are running through is going to have to be astronomical to keep from breaking under the weight of a truck. Think about this... when you try to balance a ball on top of another ball, what happens? The ball falls off. Say you have 2 balls both sitting on a flat surface (a table). You push the one into the other and attempt to make them move in a straight line. What do they do? They move every way but straight because there are no constant/flat surfaces on a sphere to give you any kind of garaunteed direction. Now take that same scenario, but put these balls in a tube. The only thing thats going to make the balls go in the direction you want them to go in is the tubing. You're going to have the entire weight of the truck trying to make the balls shoot out in every other direction, so the tubing will have to have a wall strength that can hold the weight of the truck, else there will be so much internal stress on the inside walls of the tubing that as soon as you apply pressure to the balls via the airbag the tubing will have a wall failure and blow out. The only kind of tubing I can see able to hold those kinds of pressures is a 1/2" thick walled gas line tubing or something and even then i wouldn't want to put that on a truck i'd drive....

...just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.