S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
no air, no chicks, no fun
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was fun... haha anyway when my friend was welding up my other notch on the drivers side we werent watching where the sparks were going. now we left the gas tank in since im still driving this thing daily and i couldnt leave it at the shop so we had to cover the tank with a sheet of metal and pray we didnt blow up.

we walk away for about 3 mins to cut some other metal and i come back to find out that it seems like my gas tanks on fire. figure it out and it was the plastic cover under the tank that caught fire. must of been bout 3 mins it was burning till we realized it. heres a pic of the nice hole it burned. (hey at least it wasnt the tank....)

·
Soon to be bagged
128 Posts
that sucks but like ya said at least it wasn't the gas tank that could have been a bad ending, at least your dime is fine, oh and you and your friend too..... :p

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
I almost had that happen. Moving the evap lines. I taped them off, but not good enough. Got done welding, and a small flame was lite up. Like the size of a ligter. A buddy of mine used cardboard... Gets it real wet and lays it where it needs to go. Better than a blaket.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Last summer I was doing some wiring for a rod shop...

One of the guys had a '50 Chevy pickup with the entire front end stripped to the frame.
Fuel tank was still in place, but they had plugged the gas line when they pulled the engine.
Guy was sitting across the front frame rail using a grinder to prepare the frame for welding a IRS on.
He was facing the front of the truck grinding away and throwing a stream of sparks and red-hot chunks of steel.

I was sitting nearby inside a '46 Ford roadster replica installing a wire harness when I began to smell gas...

I looked over toward the truck and saw that vibration from the grinder had loosened the fuel line plug and gas was flowing onto the floor in a flood.
The stream of fuel was flowing toward where the sparks were falling from the grinder and only about 2 inches to go.
I screamed WHOA! and the guy with the grinder jumped up and looked where I was pointing to the gas.

We all came about 5 more seconds from being barbequed.
That was when we discovered that a recently-fired employee had stolen the ONLY fire extinguisher. Damn good thing we didn't need it that day. I doubt it would have done much good though.... there were about 5 gallons of gas on the floor.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
I dragged that plastic cover off ages ago. But u are glad u still have yours on though.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
and also remember to always wear eye protection. i was just grinding something down real quick didnt think to put my goggles on. and whaddya know i got a hot spark in my eye. had to go and have it drilled out. now i have rust in there premantley and i got a scar...not cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts