S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys I'm considering building a turbod 4.3 vortec in a 2001 s10, my question is without internal work on the motor how much power can you make with strictly boost and fuel. I want to build a turbo setup that I can daily drive but also have alot of fun with. And if the motor blows go to the junkyard and grab another one to throw in. Ive tried to do a bunch of reading on the subject first before posting. And yes I know i could just swap a v8 in but thats not want I want to do. When it comes to motors and tuning and all that jazz im still very new. I am capibale of fabricating any thing I need and wrenching on anything I need just not sure how it all comes together in the end. Also if you have any links to a solid turbo build with lots of info to help me learn that you could post a link to that would be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven’t found the limit yet and I’ve run a best of 11.0 @ 124 mph at around 3500lbs. Calculators show that being around 500 hp, but who knows how close that is.

That was running 20psi of boost. I’m running on E85 as well.

Probably going to break something very soon though at that power level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou. My goal is 350-400 hp as thats supposed to be all the more the nv3500 will handle. Going to swap a Ford rearend in and treat it as a daily driver/autocross truck. But was curious if i could obtain that with the 4.3 and turbo reliably enough to continue driving it on the street

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I put down 360 through a 4L60e with the converter unlocked on a mustang dyno with ~14 psi. So I would think you could do it with less boost than that. I’m also still running the stock 7.5” 10 bolt rear end with a posi.

Edit: I’ve also run 2 drag weeks with the truck and had no issues with the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I put down 360 through a 4L60e with the converter unlocked on a mustang dyno with ~14 psi. So I would think you could do it with less boost than that. I’m also still running the stock 7.5” 10 bolt rear end with a posi.

Edit: I’ve also run 2 drag weeks with the truck and had no issues with the engine.
Alright thanks for your help man.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bubba what is the benefit to e85 and how hard is it to swap too? Also if your driving the truck on the street how is it? And im not capable of tuning nor do I want to learn lol, but is this something I could take to a shop and have tuned once I did all the work

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boosted6 did a solid job putting a turbo in his Sonoma. I recommend checking out his build threads:

Part 1

Part 2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bubba what is the benefit to e85 and how hard is it to swap too? Also if your driving the truck on the street how is it? And im not capable of tuning nor do I want to learn lol, but is this something I could take to a shop and have tuned once I did all the work
It has a higher octane rating than premium fuel and it helps cool the intake charge because you need a higher amount of fuel due to the ethanol content.

At a minimum you need to upgrade the fuel system to support more flow and a tune to compensate for the different fuel. The other big issue is that there are only a couple options for upgrading the fuel injectors.

Option 1 is upgrading to a marine intake manifold
Option 2 is a custom built/modified intake manifold

You would need a bigger fuel pump and likely an adjustable regulator.

You could definitely have a shop tune it, but I doubt there would be many that would be very knowledgeable of the engine.

Since there aren’t many off the shelf parts for the 4.3l it is quite an undertaking adding a turbo to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
300 - 350 hp is easy and a realistic expectation. Going much higher is going to require a great deal of tuning expertise.

If you don't go E85, meth injection may be an option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts