S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
just got demented
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i've notched a circular notch in my frame so the tie rods would not hit, my question is, do you absolutely have to reinforce that notch?

I know everyone says yes and i've noticed that everyone has reinforced it but what will happen if you don't reinforce it.

It doesn't seem like there is that much weight up front to cause it to bend, i know if you were in an accident it would fold like orgami but i just wanted to get some other thoughts on it,

I'm working on it this weekend, getting brakes back on it and trying to reinforce for those tie rods i just wanted to get your guys thoughts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
When in doubt...reinforce it! I would reinforce it do to the weight of your vehicle is right there and a lot of stress is on the front of the frame. Its up to you by I dont see why reinforcing would hurt anything?

·
just got demented
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vio0633 said:
When in doubt...reinforce it! I would reinforce it do to the weight of your vehicle is right there and a lot of stress is on the front of the frame. Its up to you by I dont see why reinforcing would hurt anything?
sounds good, anyone got any pics

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
98layinframe said:
yes! reinforce it. like mentioned above... your steering components are infront of that notch.
I was talking to a guy that bought his truck already notched and it wasnt reinforced (he did it once he got it). He said it was stress cracking on the drivers side by the steering mounts. The other side was fine but I think the steering was putting a lot of pressure on the frame.

So yeah, reinforce it.

·
just got demented
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Burton said:
I was talking to a guy that bought his truck already notched and it wasnt reinforced (he did it once he got it). He said it was stress cracking on the drivers side by the steering mounts. The other side was fine but I think the steering was putting a lot of pressure on the frame.

So yeah, reinforce it.
cool, thanks guys that's exactly the info i need

I'm definitely going to reinforce them this weekend, i haven't been driving on it b/c it's not even done yet so i'll get that done before.

thanks again guys

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
dagreenmonster said:
why not just weld in a piece of pipe thats cut in half?
thats what I thought the reinforcement was

·
Dropped At Birth
136 Posts
badjohnny said:
Ok, so i've notched a circular notch in my frame so the tie rods would not hit, my question is, do you absolutely have to reinforce that notch?

I know everyone says yes and i've noticed that everyone has reinforced it but what will happen if you don't reinforce it.

It doesn't seem like there is that much weight up front to cause it to bend, i know if you were in an accident it would fold like orgami but i just wanted to get some other thoughts on it,

I'm working on it this weekend, getting brakes back on it and trying to reinforce for those tie rods i just wanted to get your guys thoughts
hit me up on pm and you can come check out how mine are notched. a lot easier than you think

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
SilverStarCustoms said:
The best way to do that is put a S bend out by the outer tie rod end and the frame doesnt have to be notched at all.
are you being serious?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts