S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my S-10 to death, but have a serious problem. I use the hell out of the side door pockets so I cannot cut into the doors for a set of speakers. I also cannot have a 5.25" kickpod right in the way of my clutch pedal and emergency brake because I am tall. So far right now, I dont mind the sound of the 4x6" up front with bass blockers. I need rear speakers to go with the subwoofer!

I am toying with the idea that the factory must have put a 4x10" speaker or something I have read into the recessed area behind the seat belts. I dont know what kind of bracket they used, as my truck doesnt have rear speakers or any sort of trim in that area. I was wondering if you guys have put some speakers or some sort of other box or mount with a speaker in that area? I have my bench seat shoved as far back as possible to be comfortable, which leaves NO ROOM for a normal 6x9" in a box behind the seat, its too wide. Plus I find that any speaker I put behind the seat gets muffled almost entirely, and thought that space behind the seatbelt area would be a great way to bring the sound UP and make it a lot louder.

What are your guys setups?

·
Registered
83 Posts
well i have a 93 s10 regular cab and my stock 4x10's are blown and i am making a box to go behind my seat for two 6x9 speakers and possibly two 10" MTX subs...yes i know that's a lot in that tiny space, and i also ride with my seat back. i have looked into modifying the 4x10 area for 6x9's and its just not possible your options are:
1. replace the 4x10's with 4x6's
2. replace the 4x10's with two 4" speakers per hole using an adapter plate
3. make a box like me and put 6x9's in it behind the seat

if you make a box just put the speakers facing towards the seat and they will fit fine, as long as your box isnt too deep

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
or just head out to a junk yard and pick up a set of the rear speaker 4x10 panels and slap them in your truck. Theres a few company's that make decent 4x10 speakers, but you will probably still need a 150hz and down set of bass blockers on them too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have the factory 4x10's?

I have never seen a regular cab S-10 with any sort of trim or bracket that it could even attach to in the junkyard or in person. All of them have the rubber floor like mine and absolutly no interior trim panels. No carpet or anything nice like that! The factory didnt even run rear speaker wire either.

I mostly want to do this to also bring up the sound volume. Behind the bench seat facing ANY direction muffles them to the point I cant hear them barely at all! I want the speakers up where the seat isnt blocking them.

I was thinking a set of 5x7s? Not the best but 6x9's will not fit due to width. Maybe a custom MDF wood panel? Maybe a trimmed factory bracket?

Maybe a boxed prefab speaker that fits perfect in that long gap like these. Does anyone have something like this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/SpecialApplication/TS-X150

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a "complete stereo system" for my 1988 s10 Tahoe and it came with 2 front speakers and 2 rears, seemed great to me! However, me not being an intellectual, I did not double check the sizes for both sets of speakers. They arrived and the front speakers when in like a charm. I get to the rear and realize the rear speakers I bought are 6x9s. Being a cheap *** I am I decided what the **** I'll make it fit. Bad mistake. 6x9's will absolutely not fit unless you want to start cutting into your cab and mangling up your speakers to make them fit. Spent half the day trying to install the wrong speakers and all I have done was broke one:) Morel of the story, there are a good amount of decent quality, decent price 4x10's that'll work fine. Install the sub box too sure, also 4x10 to 6x9 converters do not work, there is simply not enough room in your rear cab panel to fit.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,692 Posts
No need to bump 11 year old threads...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.