S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I daily drive a 1999 GMC Sonoma 2.2l, SLS, 2WD. Owned for 10 years, great little truck....almost EVERYTHING is up to date. 280K original engine, still runs great. FW alignment (usual shop) suggested new shocks to improve the ride. I drive 20K+ miles per year, and also use frequently with chores. Looking for RECS on shocks BOTH front & back. Are rear spring helpers beneficial? . Lou

·
Registered
1 Posts
I daily drive a 1999 GMC Sonoma 2.2l, SLS, 2WD. Owned for 10 years, great little truck....almost EVERYTHING is up to date. 280K original engine, still runs great. FW alignment (usual shop) suggested new shocks to improve the ride. I drive 20K+ miles per year, and also use frequently with chores. Looking for RECS on shocks BOTH front & back. Are rear spring helpers beneficial? . Lou
Lou, I just rebuilt the entire front end of my 1999 S10 with 201K and 4.3V6. The only thing original is the steering knuckles and the sway bar. Along with new stock AC-Delco OEM springs, and the Bilstein shocks. Uupper and lower control arms and ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, center track rod and new bump stops.

A while back, I was told by the mechanic that I had "spring sag" and that after about 15 years or so, the weight of the engine caused springs to sag and tire wear was almost always on the inside tread towards inner sidewall.

This photo is right after I did the passenger side parts. There was about 2.5" difference between left and right side, the sag was pretty bad.

The bilstein shocks I put in, in combo with everything else new, was about $800 in parts. It takes a lot of time to get it done - about 4-5 hours per side, a lift, an internal spring compressor. So worth it...!!! All I can say is after it was all done, WOW, not the same truck.

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
If you got 280K out of the original shocks and you were happy with the ride and handling it would probably be a good idea to replace them with exactly the same shocks. Most don't last any where near that long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts