S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1993 S10 with a LT1 Corvette motor. I just installed Ridler 695 18x8 & 18x9.5 wheels. Tires are General G-MAX RS 225/45r18 and 275/40r18. The front wheel gap is 4.75" and rear is 5.0". Looking at a tasteful 3/3 drop. However I also want to improve handling as well. Have read about ZQ8, Belltech, DJM, etc. Blocks vs drop leafs, spindles vs coils. Was wondering if anyone can offer some first hand advice to help zero in on performance handling drop kits. Here is picture of the truck as it currently sits. Looks great except for the obvious wheel gaps.

·
time to get cereal
1,990 Posts
This has been covered so many times it's boggling, but here goes again...

Best options for front:

ZQ8 Coils: 1.5"
Tall lower ball joints: .5"
Spindles: 2"

Rear:

Blocks: Various sizes, JTR blocks are most versatile.
ZQ8 leafs (junkyard only AFAIK), 1.5" (or remove leaf above overload)

Any spring changes will require ZQ8 shocks as well.

·
Administrator
20,900 Posts
BellTech drop spindles and ZQ8 springs up front. BellTech makes 3" leaf springs, but people are not too wild about them. I used 3" blocks along with the ZQ8 springs that came on it and they work great. You will need to remove the bump stop and its' bracket.

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
If you're after handling, Blazer front sway bar and ZQ8 rear. SD Truck springs also has bolt on rear kits.
Quality performance shocks are also important. Like Belltech Nitros for lowered trucks. Motizzle recommended them in another post.
Also switch out our rag joint for a real u-joint. There are a couple ways to do it. It eliminates a bunch of play.
There are some good steering boxes available with faster ratio than most trucks came with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about calmax control arms? Just found them, and they lower the front 3" plus keep full shock travel. Also found Street Edge 3" leaf springs.

·
Old Fart
2,821 Posts
Any control arms that drop the spring pocket below the control arm cause clearance issues and can hit obstacles causing damage and headaches. You are much better off with dropped spindles. and the ZQ8 springs in front. If you are planning on any drag lauches Caltrax springs and bars are the way to go in the rear. IDK how much drop they give but you can use blocks to get the desired ride height from there. Personally, I am a fan of Bilstein shocks.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,671 Posts
Go with a drop spindle, tall lower BJ, aftermarket uppers for tall upper BJ, and 1" lower drop springs along with a ZQ8 front bar. Replace the swaybar frame bushings with greased poly bushings.

In the rear, pull a leaf & add a 2" block. JTR sells solid aluminum blocks. Their angle correction kits are also good.
The Catrac split mono leafs in the rear are fantastic, especially when paired with 1" of block. This is what I run for ~3" rear drop. Don't use aftermarket 3" drop leafs- they're too soft.
Also, add ZQ8 rear sway bar.

Shocks, Belltech Street Performance are nice on the front, for the rear- Calvert monotube single adj. shocks are sweet (albeit pricer than BT's, still more economical than other double adj. shocks e.g. Viking, QA1 etc).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Harley
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing