S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 2wd Reg Cab Long Bed SBC V8
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just installed Energy Suspension bushings and replacement aftermarket cross shaft on a pair of stock upper control arms and have two questions.

1. Is it normal that the crossshaft doesn’t appear to be perfectly perpendicular with the bushings? Sleeves do appear to be installed completely.
Wood Hand tool Gas Auto part Audio equipment

2. The new aftermarket crossshaft came with two inside washers. I know the stock crossshaft only had one washer to the rear of the truck. I measured the overall distance of the stock with one washer and the aftermarket with two washers and came to the determination I should use both washers to keep everything as close to as it was. Has anyone else ran into this? Confirm you have to use both washers?

Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It's not hard to distort the arms when pressing the bushings in and out if things aren't supported correctly.. If it doesn't look straight toss it in a vice and fix it with a large hammer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Okay. Knowing that it should be true and square I’m sure I can straighten it out. Just wanted to check if that was normal for some reason this being my first rebuilt set.
Any input on the 1 washer vs 2 washers on the new cross shaft?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sort of off topic, but BOTH arms at $73 new with balljoints and shafts ready to install. just food for thought

View attachment 357067
Knowing what I know now I would’ve just went this route. I have arms on order with ThorBros so I was doing only the necessities to hold me over until the next stage of the build. So I had already purchased the energy suspension bushing kit before starting the job and realizing I’d be better off just buying new stock arms.

42,128 Posts
I wouldn't trust any brand other than Moog or Delco when it comes to the route. Not sure of the price difference. I'm just stubborn and old school I guess. I bought all the tools years ago so I tend to keep using them.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I got grandfathered in to discount at Detroit Axle and I've used their stuff on last 2 S10s, no issues so far, not the cheapest at full price tho..which I WOULDNT pay, uz partgeek,rockauto,a1auto,, (Delco stuff cheaper I'd think) DA charges something like 80 a piece for 2wd control arms but they're stout as Rocky mountain oysters

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
901 Posts
I got grandfathered in to discount at Detroit Axle and I've used their stuff on last 2 S10s, no issues so far, not the cheapest at full price tho..which I WOULDNT pay, uz partgeek,rockauto,a1auto,, (Delco stuff cheaper I'd think) DA charges something like 80 a piece for 2wd control arms but they're stout as Rocky mountain oysters
I don't recall that RMO's are all that stout, unless they are cooked to a pure carbon state! And certainly not in their native condition.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took apart the cross shaft to try to persuade the arms back with a hammer as recommended above. As soon as loosened the cross shaft nuts the arm looked much straighter. Upon further investigation it appears the twist is coming in when I try to tighten the cross shaft nuts.

The photo below shows the 1/4”-5/16” gap between the busing and the shaft with one side snugged but not tight. (I originally tightened them evenly on both sides but did this so I could easily see how much gap I was dealing with)

Not sure why I have such a big gap or if this is normal and they all twist in a bit when you tighten the shaft? I double checked the bushings and they’re bottomed out in the arm. The center of the aftermarket crossshaft measures within 1/16” of the original shaft.

Tool Wood Art Sculpture Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts