S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I ran into someone that said the 2.8L engines in trucks dont last long because the bottom ends go at 50 thousand miles.....is this true of all the rebuilt 2.8L engines?. mine has 40 thousand on it now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had an 83 2.8,rebuilt it at 125000 to try out offy manifold,4 bbl holley and crane cam. Ran great for many miles until rearend,sold motor minus speed equip. to nephew The early 2.8's had 2 pc. seals and small crank journals,might have cause some problems.I suspect the problems were more owner induced,since my 83 was the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I already have over 50K on my rebuild and I didn't machine anything I just checked everything was in spec slapped new rings and bearing in it and its perfect. Pistons are still original.

People are idiots. Some people own one engine once and have a problem and they blame it on the engine. Never stop to think it was something they have done. I will tell you right now. 70% of engine failures are due to human error, 5% is a bad part or poor part selection, about 15% poor lubrication or detonation and the final 10% is the use of the wrong lubrication.

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
I just passed the 170K mile mark on my 2.8 in my Blazer. Never been rebuilt. So far, only thing I've had to do is change the oil regularly, gas it up weekly, and replace the master clutch cylinder, slave clutch cylinder, and fan clutch. Thing still runs like a top too. I'd say, if you take care of it, it'll last almost forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts