S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I want to rebuild my 1993 chevy s10 2.8 engine and I need help finding a good rebuild kit. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
where are you at ? I have a 2.8 short block allready disassembled I will let go cheap or trade for some thing I'm near pittsburgh,pa

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
Before you rebuild it look into a 3.4 swap. Its a straight drop in like the 2.8L. Alot mroe power and you could probably do it for about the same amount. Instead of getting the kit you could just order the oem parts seperate from autozone or something.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i really want to keep my 2.8 I like the gas mileage I'm just looking for a decent kit to rebuild the upper engine

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
yeah. the 3.4L is a 660 like the 2.8 from the 93-95 camaro. Look around the forums or search inside for 3.4 and you'll find all sorts of swap info. Most claim that is just as powerful as the 4.3L and some say it has more low end power than it. I rebuilt my lower 2.8L this summer then i found out about the 3.4L and i was kinda mad b/c i could have easily swapped the 3.4L for the same price; hell probably would have taken less time since it would have been a direct swap. You can either get the 3.4L gm crate engine or get one out of a camaro. Donor engines are everywhere and its a direct swap for the 2.8L (you move some parts off the 2.8 onto the 3.4). the 2.8L pushes about 120-125 hp while the 3.4 pushes 160 stock and with minor mods you can hit 200 hp.

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
Your Napa store can get you anything in the way of domestic rebuild parts, but if you have a machine shop you like, maybe you should give them the parts business too. Depending on your budget, I'm betting the heads could use a valve job also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got done doing a 2.8L in my '83. Auto Zone will have most of what you will need.... they have gasket kits you can special order, but for most parts you'll need to buy separately.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Fel pro for gasket set

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
You sure?
Yep, the engine makes more power, so it uses no more fuel than the 2.8, because it's just a better power to weight ratio. You'd be nuts quite frankly to even consider rebuilding the 2.8 considering the high availability of 3.4 engines in F bodys. No offense...

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
^see lol. It also seems that the 3.4L has some more power mods availible. We're not saying that you will save money by doing the 3.4L b/c you might tear it down and hit some crap. IMO for a few extra benjamins the 3.4L is totally worth it and now is a perfect excuse to swap it.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
It also seems that the 3.4L has some more power mods availible. .

They are basically the same engine, just one has more displacement. Thats like saying the 350 has more mods than the 305 when pretty much everything swaps between the two.

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
well i said it seems. They probably have just about the same amount of modifications but i can see the 3.4L better potential or so it seems. Also neo is there a simple cost effective mods such as shorter rods to increase the 3.4L displacement or something to get some low end power. I would like to get some really good hp out of the 3.4L for a good price.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
well i said it seems. They probably have just about the same amount of modifications but i can see the 3.4L better potential or so it seems. Also neo is there a simple cost effective mods such as shorter rods to increase the 3.4L displacement or something to get some low end power. I would like to get some really good hp out of the 3.4L for a good price.

All I'm gonna suggest is keep researching. You are getting closer and I'll help you where I can.

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
Neo: roger-that on the Felpro gaskets. No-name gasket sets are often a recipe for leaks and headaches later.

Wanna-syclone: please explain the "shorter rods = more displacement" concept. IMO,it won't change displacement, but it will drop compression and kill power numbers; given the same wrist-pin placement..

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
Sorry Wanna-sy, I re-read your post, and see that you were posing a question, not suggesting a mod. I will read more closely next time.

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
@comp- its allright lol. what you said is very true and i wasn't thinking in practical terms at the time; what i meant is there a way an easy way to make it into a stroker ie what crank could you do anything else. From my understanding (never done it) boring out the engine is costly. lets say i can get some decent more power by waiting a little bit longer for some more bank then really making the engine into a monster of a 660.
@neo- yeah and i am and shall keep doing. I have come so far in the past year automotively that its insane. I use to not be really interested in engines but now i can't stop thinking about them and 24/7 i'm thinking what can be done to my S10. I miss the feeling of actually having some ass when you hit that pedal.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
@neo- yeah and i am and shall keep doing. I have come so far in the past year automotively that its insane. I use to not be really interested in engines but now i can't stop thinking about them and 24/7 i'm thinking what can be done to my S10. .
I want a Syclone
Registered Crackhead

:D No doubt!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
11 Participants
Mad Max
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing