S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with a different cam, intake, 4.3l tbi with spacer, 1.6 roller tip rockers and probably a different ignition not sure. I have been looking around everywhere. Can someone help out in where to find the cam kit with springs and what size? Where to get the best intake? Also if upgrading the ignition which would be best and where to find it?

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
cam, intake, 4.3l tbi with spacer, 1.6 roller tip rockers and probably a different ignition
For what those mods will cost you could probably put in a 3.4 for about the same and have more power.

·
Boozebag
9,745 Posts
Just a quick point... The 3.4 V6 is almost identical as far as outward appearances go. Only you would know it's in there.
If you really want to "Keep it original" you could remove the 2.8 and store it and add the 3.4. If you want to go back, you could put the 2.8 back in.

If you insist on keeping the 2.8, read this:
2.8 and 60* V6 Performance Mods

I don't know what your budget is, if you post more, I can fill in a lot of the blanks.

Another point - replacement valve springs won't help a lot. The heavier springs are meant to keep the valves from "floating" at high RPMs, which I suspect that you aren't going to be going much above 5500 RPM. And at that - on rare occasions.
I have a serious cam in one of my S10s that has over 1/2" of lift and some good duration. The engine is a 3.4 and the only mod I did to the heads was installing roller rockers with ARP screw in studs. I had to do this because one of the rocker studs snapped... It runs mid to low 14s at the track.

I can give you a pretty comprehensive list of performance parts for these engines. Unfortunately, the cost is higher than the small block performance stuff.

BTW... Why are you rebuilding the 2.8? Is it using oil? Rattling? Or you simply want more power?
Is this an automatic or manual?
What year? Carb or TBI?

There are only 2 performance intakes available for this engine. The most common is the Edelbrock performer. It has 2 different tops - one for a 2 barrel, the other is a 4 barrel top.
Offenhauser makes a "Dual Port" intake for a 4 barrel, but it is super rare. I have one and have never installed it on an engine.
There have been some individuals that have installed a 4 barrel intake and adapted the TBI unit to the intake. I think that Jimmykicker on the forum did this.

Anyway, a lot of questions for you to answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well found out just now the cylinders are bad. Would have to be bored past .040. Guess I might have to try the 3.4 if I can find one. The truck is an 89 short wheelbase with a 5 speed. Budget would be less than $2,000. The motor just seized up one afternoon pulling into the yard. No noise what so ever. It had 161,000 on it. Pulled it apart and it looked like it had 400,000 by all of the oil caked inside. It's also a TBI. So, what kind of suggestions do y'all have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a 4.3l tbi interchange? I have a t-5 transmission and can get a bell housing for it.

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
Yes, but it is an engine swap and will require all the usual changes like exhaust, cooling, motor mounts, different chip in the ECM, 4.3 4wd deep sump oil pan (unless the engine you find is already from a 4x4). Would need to be an 89-93 vin Z engine to keep it from getting real involved.
Considering the parts you'll need to change you might as well put in a 350 TBI. Same cost, same amount of work, same gas mileage, MO power.
JTR has 4.3 upper motor mounts that will bolt to your 2.8 lowers and are better than the GM 4.3 crappy mounts.

·
time to get cereal
5,072 Posts
Just look at the stickies at the top of this section, it's all been done before.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,513 Posts
Simply put, you need 4.3 TBI, your intake bored to match, an engine from a Camaro or Firebird, and the flexplate/firewall from your truck. Basically that is it. Easy breezy. Tuning is another thing however. I haven't done mine, and as a result it requires 93 octane fuel, so there is that. I've put it off for years.

Definitely a big upgrade from the 2.8 when you step hard on it and hold it to the floor.

Max, it was Damanx that did that with the Ed and the TBI. He said it worked good though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw where there was something you could plug in (chip). That you can buy that makes it run the most efficient etc,.

·
3,513 Posts
I saw where there was something you could plug in (chip). That you can buy that makes it run the most efficient etc,.
I personally have not seen one for the 3.4 with the bored out TBI. Definitely can't say it exists or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, finally got the 3.4 home. Got to take the oil pan off and look at the bottom end. The top looks good so far. So what y'all are saying is use my intake, timing cover, distributor, motor mounts and oil pan. Do I use a 3.4 oil pump or are they the same? What about the gasket kit? And I guess just use the same sensors?

·
3,513 Posts
Ok, finally got the 3.4 home. Got to take the oil pan off and look at the bottom end. The top looks good so far. So what y'all are saying is use my intake, timing cover, distributor, motor mounts and oil pan. Do I use a 3.4 oil pump or are they the same? What about the gasket kit? And I guess just use the same sensors?
I don't know about the pump. Personally, I'd just grab a new one anyway for a truck. Never know how many miles are on it or when it could go. Cheap insurance. Basically strip off what is on your truck and install it on the 3.4. You will definitely need to at least put the 4.3 injectors in the 2.8 housing. It will run lean and detonate if you don't, and it'll be gutless. Take the intake to a machine shop and have them enlarge it to the 4.3 size and bolt on an Astro van TBI unit. There's a write up in one of the stickies that tells you how to do this and which one to get. They are different. I think the mounting for the throttle bracket is absent on some of the newer ones. You just have to look. Supposedly you can tap the holes, but that ain't my speed.

·
3,513 Posts
Oh and rebuild the injectors too. It's cheap and easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts