S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to throw down on an old block but I am going to go all off on it. I have a 1994 2.2lt and it is great and fun but I want the power. I read a thread on here about getting a lot of horses out of the 2.2lt and I agree with him. The goal is to forge everything, rebuild the bottom end, ram air, port and polish, and spray. I have picked out a Nitrous Express window unit. I will set it from 2500 to 5500 rpm and at those rmps at every shift there will be a 100 shot as long as it is at full throttle. That should be nice. Anyway I was curious if any of you guys are doing anything like this or what? I know summerwolf is waiting on the turbo and a few others are as well. But is anyone going all out not with just bolt ons but so real building if so let me know that way we can talk about it and share ideas. :rock:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
What kind of numbers are you looking for without nitrous? I am still trying to decide if I want to go with a supercharger setup, which would consist of either a Eaton mercedes type blower, or a toyota SC14 type blower, I have chose these two due to the fact that they have electric clutches on them and can be turned on and off depending on the conditions. However I would be running it on stock internals pushing about 5lbs of boost.

My second option is porting and polishing the head, custom fitting a 2.3L intake manifold to work like ram air, a header, and a cam.

There are several people who have said that the current intake manifold flows plenty for our application and that it can support up to 200+ HP just fine, Yes it might flow fine for up to 200+ HP, but then you have to get the air to the engine to gain HP is my theory, so by placing a higher flow capabitity intake manifold where it is getting more air, should allow more flow to the engine allowing more HP. Maybe I am wrong, but it is worth a try, and it nothing else i will learn a few more things in the fabrication process which will determine if I want to go the route of the supercharger, due to the fact that there will have to be alot of parts made.

Over my christmas I will be working on the manifold, test fitting, seeing what will need to be done, ect. I am not 100% sure if It will work as planned.

·
Registered
463 Posts
well I went with a turbo and I am planning on rebuilding it when I get enough money, je pistons eagle rods port and polish possibly a cam and 15+ psi. but without any money it is going to be a while

Alan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work for a custom engine builder in the Indianapolis area. I was wandering with all the stuff you are planning on doing to the 2.2 how do you plan on bypassing the computer. We have found that with cam installs on PCM motors, the PCM wants to override everything causins you to lose more power than gained, Just my .02. Also with all the money you are going to put in it why not just drop a 4.3 or a v8 in it?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
because thats not what he wants to do so why bring it up? And if you go standalone the cam will be fine......SOME pcms throw problem codes if the computer is not reburned for the cam profile....

I for one plan on blowing my engine at the track and dropping in something a little wilder....

mild cam, titanium pushrods, cavalierconnection.com full race head, and arias forged pistons, eagle rods, and a replacement crank.....That'll be it for me, and all that together and put in still won't be as much as a V6 or V8 swap....some will argue, some won't, but I've done a lot of research and it doesn't seem to me to be plausible to do a swap for less.....I'm sure someone out there could, but I don't have the resources

Caleb

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Problems with the cam? Over on j-body.org there are a few people with cams, from the few post over there no one is having problems that they have announced. It depends on how wild you go with the cam.

So you mean to say that anything with OBDII or even early 90's (since they all run a PCM) lose power, or gain nothing from cam swaps. This is very intresting news to me, because there are cams made for almost every engine out there. For example, a cam in a LS1, 4.3L s-10's, 2.4L cavaliers, ECT. Most of them are running on the stock computer with out problems and have dynoed decent gains. I doubt Crane, Comp, Crower, ect would spend all that time researching and developing cams for newer engines only to have them not work and have unhappy customers. I would like to see an explanation for all of this.

The "v-8 solution" Isn't really a feasable option, first of all if I am going to do a engine swap I want it done right. To me that would include getting a LS1 and a T56 trans. Not cheap, then there is the mounting, truck down time, electrical, guages, motor mounts, cooling, PCM, exhaust, suspension, .....the list goes on. I will go cheap and say atleast $5,000 when all is said and done, not including labor.

Also there are several people running boost on the stock computer, ie. blades who doesn't have any problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry it came accross that way. I guess the cams we have seen are just a little to "wild" therefore its throwing codes, such as idle sensor and stuff like that. So summerwolf your planning on blowing your motor up and then rebuilding it, wouldnt it be easier to rebuild it before it blows up, Its kinda hard to determine how a motor is going to blow up and what all damage its going to do, such as cylinder walls and shit like that!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly I haven't put many numbers together yet. I know that I would really like to hit 200-220 without spray. With spray 300-320. The problem though is deciding how to go about it. Your Mercedes blower idea is a good one. I have seen many people slap performance cams in an s10 and it take it. and i have seen some that were not accepted by the computer. with this kind of horse power on this engine i assume we are looking at computer work anyway. Those horsepower figures are up there but hey it never hurts to have a goal. if the bottom end is rebuilt nicely you can spray almost as much as you want but I still want some nice power without the NOS. I decided to just pick up a used block and start form there that way the truck is not down because I drive it to work everyday. the tranny is goin to be some $$$ because I have a guy I know to do it but even afer the hook up for a rebuild and a kit it will run me $900. Keep me posted on you guys that want to do this we can see what the best route is. Oh and by the way the v8 option is too easy and too expensive and screw the v6 besides wouldn't it be fun to beat the hell out of some fast cars with a 2.2 lt s10 sleeper. :lnv:

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
let me rephrase, build a motor, and blow my stocker up at the track.....

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I'm already half assed scouting the yards for a block......I'm expecting something to shoot out the side of the block when I go upwards of 12 PSI on stock internals.....who knows, thats a while a ways....see what it puts down on the dyno, at the track, let me build my block, after the block is done and ready....then we go to the track and blow up the stocker....

LOL

Caleb

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
I did the carparts.com thing and got a complete core engine + freight for $225.Should be here any day.Gonna tear it apart and start porting and polishing,get everthing hot dipped,and once i get my taxes back put it back together.Does anyone know what the max is for boring out the cylinders?Gonna send the lower intake to get extrude honed,which will increase the i.d. of the runners and port match it to the head.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yeah the last time I was at the yard the guy said I could have any core motor that he has cause he just scraps them. So I am calling over the weekend and asking him what he has.

Stinky U going with a 98+ or a pre 98 engine?

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Zq-8_dawg said:
Yeah the last time I was at the yard the guy said I could have any core motor that he has cause he just scraps them. So I am calling over the weekend and asking him what he has.

Stinky U going with a 98+ or a pre 98 engine?
Pre 98.In fact i found one the exact same year as mine,a 94 so i won't find any surprises(it's also from a s-10 not a cavi).How is the quad 4 manifold trick comming?I used to have a berretta gtz with the h.o. quad 4 and the intake runners on those engines are freak'n massive.

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
The intake ports on the heads of the 2.4 and 2.3 liters are shaped differently than the 2.2s. The 94-97 2.2s have a round shape with an "eyebrow" at the top for the injectors. The 98-02 2.2s have a square shape with an "eyebrow" at the top for the injectors. The 2.3 and 2.4 intake parts have more of a smooth/squished "W" shape. I think that it will be a challange on making a 2.3 intake manifold flow properly on a 2.2 head.

Since we are talking about rebuilding 2.2s, this is what is done to my 99 2.2 liter motor....which is sitting in a little corner waiting to be put in:

Ported & polished head - shaved .015
Cavalier Connection chromoly headstuds w/ nuts
Cavalier Connection copper headgasket
SI stainless steel valves
balanced crank
O-ringed block
Venolia forged .020 over 9:1 pistons w/oversized & floating wrist pins
pin oilers
spirl locks
custom made Total Seal TS1 gapless piston rings
Eagle ESP H-beam forged connecting rods-machined for oversized floating wrist pins
Clevite 77 rod bearings
Clevite 77 main bearings
Clevite 77 cam bearings

Here are my other mods that will be put in at the same time as the built motor:

Cavalier Connection turbo header-with Jet Hot 2,000 degree coating
Cavalier Connection modified oil fill tube
Cavalier Connection turbo feed line
Spearco intercooler 25" X 8.5" w/ a 3" core
TurboXS Type H-RFL blow off valve
ASP crank pulley
MP tranny mounts
Phantom Grip LSD
Cartec FMU
Ford Racing 30lbs fuel injectors
B&M SuperCooler-oil cooler
oil filter adapter
RK Sport upper engine mount
Held Motor Sport lower engine mount
MSD 8.5mm plug wires
MSD DIS-2
Star/Spec Stage II Clutch
FDP 62mm throttle body-billit aluminum
Casper Elec. o2 simulator

I will buy the actual turbo right before my friend and I put everything in the car.

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
Cavalier Connection sells Venolia forged pistons w/rings and Eagle rods for the 2.2s now. They even sell ported heads with stainless steel valves for all of the 2.2s.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Adler,what made you decide to go w/ 9:1 compression?Wouldn't you normally want to move the compression down for turbo applications,or are you not planning on running alot of boost?

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
I stuck with 9:1 because I had planned to only run alot of nitrous on the motor. At the last minute, I decided to go turbo. Also, when having forged pistons made with lower compression, the piston company needs alot of specs on the motor...specs in which I didnt feel like measuing. So I kept the stock compression.

A well known "supercar tuner", Bob Norwood, said that 9:1 would fine for turbo. He says try to keep the compresson under 10.

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
Oh yea, it looks like the 2.4 intake ports are a little bit wider than the 2.2 intake ports. I believe that the 2.3 liter intake ports are even wider than the 2.4 ports.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts