S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building an engine in my shop for my 93 s-10 4.3l v6 262 cu in "Z" vin pickup. I pulled the motor i plan to use out of a 2001 gmc jimmy, and the marine heads [with port and polish] and roller rocker valves and more aggresive camshaft from a 01 blazer. With these parts i plan to build the motor on the stand also adding a turbo with intercooler, i am a master welder, so i plan to do all the exhaust modifications on my own, as well as the port match and polish of the heads and intake.

Ok, so i've done alot of research and believe i have most of the info i need, but that being said, i could really use some help.
I know that unless i go back to a carbeurator intake i am going to need to flash the ecu chip, and i am going to end up going from obd1 to obd2(i plan to take the wiring harness from the jimmy). The reason i am doing this is so i can go from tbi to direct port injection, and can then use the vortec marine heads without buying an aftermarket intake.
Getting to the point of my question, does anyone know what protocol was used in the obd1 93 4.3L v-6 262cu in "z" vin motor? What protocol in the obd2 2001 gmc jimmy 4.3l vortec 262 cu in motor? Does anyone have an opinion about whether i am making a poor decision or good decision with the tbi/dpi switch?
And finally what is the best route to take with the ecu? I have been toying with the idea of doing the entire remap with usb2can an eeprom burner and a linux laptop. Which im aware is a daunting task not for the lighthearted. I have an aftermarket digital full spectrum o2 sensor for the tune, and i am passable at Writing linux code. Any help or ideas would be
Welcome. Thanks for any advice in advance and know it will not fall on deaf ears.
Just because i might not follow good advice its never due to a lack of consideration, but a difference in opinion on the end goal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would go back and get the entire wiring harness out of the vehicle you pulled the engine from including all sensors, plugs and 'puters

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Is there a reason for having a V6?

1993 s10, what are you wanting to do about the gauges, keep them stock or upgrade them?

What is your goal, or vision? 400 hp? 900 hp? Or just to keep the coolness of having something somewhat different than all the V8 swaps out there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to see what I could do with the v-6 I could do the ls swap, but everyone does that. I actually have the entire wire harness out of the 01 Jimmy, i own the whole vehicle and am using it for anyspare parts i need, and can do the swap over with the marine vortec heads. Originally i was going to use them on the s-10 tbi motor, but they don't bolt up due to the change in bolt angle from the 95 and up models. The intake would either have to be modified to the point of failure or purchase an aftermarket intake to use the tbi on the marine heads,,.....or....just pull everything off the jimmy. Build the engine on a stand and do a port and polish on the marine heads, while installing the turbo, and then just drop the entire motor in as one piece in the s-10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have some info that they have used as far as how i can tune the ecu for the turbo? I want to do it myself and know it takes alot of time and patience, but i thought (hoped)i could do most of that on the engine stand. Anyway, a point in the right direction would be great. Otherwise i am still tossing around the idea of an aftermarket intake with a 4 barrel carb. (I have always wanted to use the hydro-quad with the huge secondaries).

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Does anyone have some info that they have used as far as how i can tune the ecu for the turbo? I want to do it myself and know it takes alot of time and patience, but i thought (hoped)i could do most of that on the engine stand. Anyway, a point in the right direction would be great. Otherwise i am still tossing around the idea of an aftermarket intake with a 4 barrel carb. (I have always wanted to use the hydro-quad with the huge secondaries).
Hydro Quad??? Spreadbore?

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Then 30° offset connecting rod journals in the 4.3 make the crank naturally weak. Boosting it is inviting disaster. That engine was not designed to take abuse. Granted the Sy/Ty's were a success, but why did GM build so few???
One of our more knowledgeable members did a built 4.3 which promptly blew up and he's now installing a LS.
Ultimately it's your truck, go for it if you want and good luck.

·
I turn.
2,601 Posts
Most boost related failures on this site are tune / knock related, not broken cranks. Almost all builds on this site are done on a budget too so it's hard to say how reliable they'd be if they were done to the standard most boosted LSx builds are at.

GM didn't build many Sy/Tys because no one wanted them. Stock Sy/Tys are as reliable as any 1990's GM product, it's when you start messing with them that things go downhill.

The HP goal is the question. 350-400 rwhp is 'easy' and can be reliable on a stock crank but things get iffy / expensive after that.

You'll be severely limited on tuning with the TBI. The ideal thing would be an Edelbrock 2114 converted to EFI with the PCM from the '01 donor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info, ill be posting some pictures as well, but i was looking through other mod's that people do on the 4.3 and came across the egr delete....it got me thinking about whether or not i could add my boost where the egr was. Is there any reason i can't do that? Or any drawbacks, i thought its a great place to introduce the boost and damned comvenient as well.

·
I turn.
2,601 Posts
...your air intake will become an output. Search the blowers and bottles section of the forum.

·
time to get cereal
5,616 Posts
GM didn't even build the Sy/Ty, PAS did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts