S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a viair 450 a few years back when they were warrantied to 175 psi. its been a great compressor operating to 175 psi for close to two years, filling my 5 gallon 3-5 times a day. its still works fine when it has no pressure to start against (0 pressure in the tank). but when there is pressure in the tank and it starts up against it to fill it to 175, it will blow an 80 amp fuse like nothing. i have been told its the brush or somethin like that. i have also been told by a viair rep that its unlike viair compressors to work for so long at that pressure and maybe my 450 is a freek and i should keep it. i took it apart to see whats wrong with it but i have never taken one apart and dont really know what i am looking at. there was some black dust in their, dont know if thats normal or not. here are some pics, maybe you guys can tell me if its worth rebuilding or if i should just buy a new one. also when it blew an amp the first few times, the truck quickly leaked all the pressure. should i get a check valve too? could a bad check valve be causing the high initial amp draw at start up?

pics:

if there is anything specific you need a picture of, i can take it real quick

thanks guys

Jesse

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hey whats up man long time no talk! Hey I had the same problem and ran my 2 450's to the same psi bro. One of the compressors blew on me the other quit working. I have a picture here of what I think is wrong with it. I have to call viair and get a motor end rebuild kit. The high amperage and spiking on these comps is a good indication that its on its last leg man. As far as rebuild kits...you may need to get some new brushes. The black dust in there is ok man. I had some inside my compressor as well.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The top piston head looks really old and worn man. I think you may need to get one of those. Dont know for sure but some compressor god on here can help ya out better buddy!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
My wheels that I picked out and found first are doing fine buddy...thanks for asking. But yeah if I were you get another 460 or 480 man. They are a tad bit more expensive but to me well worth it. But let me know whats up man..Holla!!!

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vio0633 said:
My wheels that I picked out and found first are doing fine buddy...thanks for asking.
i got proof saying otherwise!

vio0633 said:
But yeah if I were you get another 460 or 480 man. They are a tad bit more expensive but to me well worth it. But let me know whats up man..Holla!!!
i dont think i need that much compressor though. i bought a full size for daily duty, the s10 is just a hot rod now, light useage. i have a 5 gallon tank that will be filling from 110 to 145 a few times a week once its running. thats my reasoning behind just gettin a 350.

i would prefer to rebuild my 450 as soon as someone can gimme some advice here lol

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
Id take it all apart and chuck up the arm in a drill press, spin it and clean the comm. up with some emry cloth, same with the brushes. The brushes still have a lot of meat to them, they should be fine. Probably needs a new ring as well.

Arm = armature = thing that spins with all the copper wire coils.

comm = communicator = copper plates at the end of the arm.

Brushes are the copper looking things in pic #4 that ride on the comm.

on second thought, you probably arent going to get the crank off, so just clean the comm by hand, try not to make flat spots, or put a dip in the middle. just make it shiny again. 600+ grit sandpaper will work fine if you dont have emry cloth.

·
Registered
174 Posts
is it really safe to run a 450 at 175??? i want to get at least 2 years out of mine... 110-145 doesnt seem like enough.. but will it overheat or anything at 175? what will it have for a dutycycle at 175 i know its %100 at 100psi .. i am guessing around 60%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts