S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of determining the gear ratio by counting the teeth on the gears? My problem is, I found two rear ends both already out of the vehicle and have no idea what ratio the are.
My Dad told me about some way of counting the teeth on the gears and dividing them by the square root of 200 errr something like that?!?:phil:
 

·
Project: Sabriel
Joined
·
12,507 Posts
you could try to find serial numbers somewhere on the diff, and check them with a dealership, or just take both rear ends to a deslership and have them check them for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
Ring devided by pinion.

You can also mark the pinion U-joint, and turn the axles, both at the same time, or one at time, but make sure the other one does not turn, and once both axles make one full rotation, the number of time that the pinion turns will be the ratio. It's not exact science but it works. This is how I determined that I have 3.73s in my truck now, I had the truck on the hoist changing the clutch, and turned both wheels, couting the number of rotaions that the pinion turned, which was 3 and just about 3/4, and since the closest ratio to that is 3.73. ;) I also determined my new rear end this way, when it was still attached to the frame, it turned 3 and just less than half way, a 3.42, once I pulled the cover off, I used the numbers stamped on the side of the ring gear to verify, which is the ring gear tooth count and pinion tooth count.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4x4 rear end

another question, would a 4x4 rear end look stupid installed in my 2wd. I know that it will stick out 2 inches farther than my 2wd rear end, but, I plan on putting wider tires and rims on the back. They are 15 inch rims so I'm really not too worried about the fender coming down on them, I just wonder how it would look.
 

·
zippy
Joined
·
733 Posts
you can just look at the numbers on the pinion gear face. you'll see some like 41-10, 39-7, 41-9, etc. anyway, it'll be on that gear and you just divide the larger number by the second and that's the ratio.
 

·
Blue '85
Joined
·
10 Posts
Re: 4x4 rear end

Grizzley said:
another question, would a 4x4 rear end look stupid installed in my 2wd. I know that it will stick out 2 inches farther than my 2wd rear end, but, I plan on putting wider tires and rims on the back. They are 15 inch rims so I'm really not too worried about the fender coming down on them, I just wonder how it would look.
Wheels wont necessarily stick out 2 inches farther...depends on the offset of your rims. For intsance, offset on stock corvette rims, or rims intended for late model vettes,will tuck into the wheel wells with the 4X4 rear end.
 

·
Gaaoooooo
Joined
·
13,572 Posts
MKR said:
you can just look at the numbers on the pinion gear face. you'll see some like 41-10, 39-7, 41-9, etc. anyway, it'll be on that gear and you just divide the larger number by the second and that's the ratio.
:werd:
 

·
Gaaoooooo
Joined
·
13,572 Posts
Re: Re: 4x4 rear end

Randy Walker said:
Wheels wont necessarily stick out 2 inches farther...depends on the offset of your rims. For intsance, offset on stock corvette rims, or rims intended for late model vettes,will tuck into the wheel wells with the 4X4 rear end.
True but if he is using the same 2wd wheels on the 4wd rearend, the tires will stick out however much wider the 4wd rearend is. I tried on 14inch 2wd s10 wheels on a buddies 4x4 blazer, they stuck out atleast 2 inches more than the 4x4 wheels.
 

·
Blue '85
Joined
·
10 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 4x4 rear end

MINTSICK said:
True but if he is using the same 2wd wheels on the 4wd rearend, the tires will stick out however much wider the 4wd rearend is. I tried on 14inch 2wd s10 wheels on a buddies 4x4 blazer, they stuck out atleast 2 inches more than the 4x4 wheels.
Agreed.
 

·
Gaaoooooo
Joined
·
13,572 Posts
Grizzley said:
But the big question is; How does it look? Did it look ridiculous, or did it look good?:evilg:
It looked ridiculous, LOL we tried them on because my buddy got a shift kit in his blazer and it wouldn't bark 2nd gear with his 235/75/15 meats, so we put on the rear tires from my brothers 92 s10 and it barked 2nd gear with 4 people in it!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top