S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 4 wheel drive the other day and noticed while i had it up on jacks and applied the brakes my one back wheel did not stop, so this got me curious and i pulled the hub.
To find the brakes were all wet, i was thinking the cylinder was leaking but that actually looked dry, then i noticed leakage coming from the axle.
Question is, is this just a seal or what? im not to familar with the bearings and replacement, etc...any help would be appreciated.
Just to clarify something, i believe the wheel wouldnt stop cause of all the grease leakage on the brakes making it slip, otherwise i think my brakes are fine.

Rob

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
There is a rubber seal to keep the axle lube in.

If it is leaking, you need to get it fixed before you loose too much gear lube and burn the bearings.

Not to mention the brake is useless.

·
Registered
163 Posts
oh yeah this is a fun job. Replaced one seal on my truck at only 60000 miles. Its easy to do, drain rear end, remove cover, remove tire, remove drum, push axle in, retreive c- clip, pull axle out gently, use seal puller to remove seal, check bearings, oil up new seal and drive in carefully. Of course I did all new brakes on the rear end because of the gear oil on the shoes.
This job gets tricker if you need new bearings.
I recommend buying or making a seal puller, and getting a socket thats big enough or a proper seal driver for the new seal. The spider gears fell out when I did mine because I rotated the other axle when up on jackstands. Scared me but i got it back together.
Little stuff like this is adding up for my truck and not too happy about it. My 83 Dodge never needed any thing like this and I flat out abused that truck. I baby my S-10. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, yeah i was looking over the chiltons manual and it seems pretty easy, except for the fact i may need special tools to install a new seal and replace the bearing, although the bearing may not need replaced hopefully!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I forgot one important detail. The pinion shaft lock bolt should be replaced when you do this. Its cheap from the dealer and has locktite on it already. Dont reuse the old one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts