S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
One race at a time.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes the rear of Sonoma/S-10's sag lower than the front when they're stock? Mine sits level right now but I would like to know how to keep the rear from sagging after awhile.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen what you are talking about. But I've only seen this in reg cabs. When I was looking to by an S-10 just recently, one that I was looking at was a 02 with only had 11,000 miles and the rear was way lower then the front. That is not a good look at all. It was the main reason I didn't get it. I'm not sure that they don't come like that from the factory. I've noticed that some extended cabs appear to have different suspensions in the rear. Some are lower by a only a couple of inches. I think the height of the suspension just varies. But that's just my guess

·
One race at a time.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my '00 regular cab doesn't sag and sits perfect and I want to keep it that way. I agree supercobraz, S-10's and Sonomas that sag in the rear look gay as ****.

·
V8 Horsepower junkie
15 Posts
mine sags a little bit, but I think its because I put the buggy in the back of it. I've heard that sometimes leaf springs need to be re-arched or replaced - speaking of sagging, ,my truck actually leans to the driver side a bit, even when completely empty.... what might cause that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
AS far as from the factory you could get different rear springs depending on if you have a towing package.
I have a towing package on mine but it still sags but i also tow a whole lot with my s10. I just added helper air bags to level my truck out when I tow.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 97, how can you tell if you have a towing package? What's the most you've ever towed or hauled.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i don't remember which option code is for the heavy duty rear suspension i would have to check.
But i tow my toyota truck all the time and have towed a mini van and my fiances grand prix. I just got the helper air bags for christmas and they help alot with the sagging while towing a trailer with a car on it. makes it handle better. but i have towed my toyota pickup for the past 9 months on the stock suspension.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I checked my codes and I have the standard Z85 "smooth ride" suspension and a 3.43 gear ratio. It sits pretty high though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
but if you tow having the stronger springs will help prevent sagging.
Mine ended up sagging anyways even with the stronger springs.
but i tow the crap out of stuff

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
My extracab sags in the rear on one side only. Its been that way since day one. So I bought new rear shocks thinking that it would fix it. Well it didnt. Dont know what it is but I would like to know

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a thing they call the "Chevy Lean" on this forum. There is something you can order to correct that lean. It's somewhere, do a search or post the question.

·
Insert catchy saying here
1,311 Posts
I've heard that Belltech sells something to correct that "Chevy Lean" problem but I thought that was more of a front end problem? I'm probably wrong as usual, but that's just the only thing I've heard people complain about was the front end sitting un-level....

·
Cheezeit9
364 Posts
I had the same problem. There are two ways to fix it. One is to get some air shocks and the other is to get an add a leaf. I had the shocks for a while but pissed me off because you have to keep filling them with air, so I got the add a leaf. I took it in and the guy told me that they use car leafs on the rear and they are not that strong. If you look at the s-10 leafs there are only 3 and an overload, and a blazer has 4 and the overload. By getting the leaf put in and getting the bilsteins, its sits higher in the back.

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
ok to answer most of your questions;

the "chevy lean" is a common problem with most s10-sonoma trucks. 1st and 2nd gen models. The uneven stance is based within the front suspension, but I have not heard the exact cause.
It is more noticeable if the truck has been statically lowered. (not bags) It can be corrected easily buy installing a cushion under the coil on the lower side. It is also true that beltech offers this, I dont know the part ##.

As for the sagging of the rear of the truck. It is usually caused by frequently overloading the carring capacity of the truck. the added weight puts strain on the leaf springs and can flatted or "de-arch" them. It can also be caused by always having extra, but not excessive, weight in or on the bed. such as a canopy.
This also can eventually de-arch the leaf springs.

Probably the best way to correct the sagging is to add an extra leaf in the spring pack. It is fairly quick and easy to do. If you plan on carrying heavy loads on a regular basis, you should consider adding a leaf to the system. It will give the extra support for the rear of the truck, as well as restore normal handling characteristics, which can be compromised under a heavy load.

As for the different suspension packages offered by GM, I know there are a few different ones available. However, the ZQ8 suspension package is the one that is the "sport" or "lowered" package. I think it is around 1.5" lower in front and 2" in back. It also includes a larger diameter front swaybar and also a rear swaybar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts