S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the rear main seal on my 2wd 01 S10 and need some good info.
I bought the seal and now I'm ready to drop the tranny. Question is
do I have to worry about replacing anything else while I'm down there.
Also can I do this without a lift and with just me and my buddy doing it.
Don't have the money to pay a shop and really need to get it done.
Whats a good place to start as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you have it out, you might want to change the seal on the transmission. In fact, be sure that it's the engine leaking and not the transmission. They leak from almost the same spot.
I can't really talk about doing it without a lift. I don't think you need one. Might make parts of it easier, but it can be done without a lift, for sure. I took out the entire engine/tranny while I was changing the engine. But, to separate the engine and transmission was going to be a nightmare. There are a couple bolts on the top of the transmission that are a bear to get at. Need long extensions and some guys on here have even raised the cab to get to them. I'd spend some time searching on here for info, there is A LOT to be learned, it helped me immensely. I can help with whatever questions you have but will be on the road and unable to check for about 3 days. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had trouble getting my old seal out. Of course I was trying to be real carefull as to not scratch or nick the crankshaft since it will cause it to leak if you do. I tried with just a screwdriver like the Haynes manual says but it wouldn't budge, then my brother worked on it while I went to the store, I believe he used a seal remover he had in his toolbox to get it out.

Getting the new one in was tricky because you have to get it in straight and it's a tight fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts