S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how do I remove rear leaf bushings?

I have a problem with the rear tires rubbing when I corner real hard so I bought some urethane bushings for the rear leafs.
how do you get the old bushings out? please help.
also is it ok to use lithium grease on the new bushings.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
doesn't anyone know how to get bushings out!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried pressing mine out on a 3000# press and they WOULD NOT COME OUT!!! I didn't have a good base, so that didn't help.

I ended up using a propane torch and burning them out, but BE CAREFUL!!! You don't want to get the spring too hot. Just keep the flame on the rubber in the bushing and it should be OK.

I heated them slowly, alternating sided until they caught on fire on both ends, then the metal piece in the center will just push out. I used an old long bolt to puch on them. CAUTION - When I pushed them a little way out they shot out the rest of the way, maybe 4 or 5 feet. Pretty cool....

Sorry I don't have any pics of this process, no one was there to shoot while I worked. I still have one bushing to go, maybe by the weekend I can throw a pic up.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn I think I am just going to buy some new 3" drop leaf springs and get rid of the blocks.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked around at leaf springs and found that the stock springs with blocks will probably be the stiffest setup.
would it be faster if i just took the leaf springs off the truck to get the old bushings out?
I ordered a 1" swaybar for the rear so that should help.

·
Audi Tech
2,487 Posts
i did my bushings on brand new bell techs. used some Energy Suspension bushings. your suppose to use the greese they give you. you can heat the bushing and push it out. what i did, was push the inner sleeve out with a press, then i was able to push the rubber out. after this i pryed the bushing shell so it would colapse on itself (use a screwdriver and push the shell to the center) i used a press to push this although you maybe able to hit it out. grease and push the new ones in.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the belltech rear sway bar for the s-10, it was backordered about 2 weeks ago so I am still waiting. It is the thickest rear sway bar for the s-10 1".

I already have the bushings, but it didn't look like enough grease.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JEGS.COM part number 146-5520, I think it was like $130 or something like that, it was a special order and I have not recieved it yet.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just got the right rear leaf off and the focker fell on my hand on the way down, those things are heavy. now I will attempt to get the old bushings out.
I hope I have enough propane!:evilg:

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BFH didn't work, neither did the sledge. time for the gas.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
torch works very well, thanks for everyones help.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still can't get the rubber out, any other suggestions.
should I just let them burn out completely?
or soak them in gas?
WD40?

·
Registered
45 Posts
As mine got hot and the bond between the rubber and metal heated, I could eventually just push the rubber out. I used an old bolt, but I'd say a flathead screwdriver will do the trick. (I'd use an old one.) Just keep burning it, inhaling as few fumes as possible, and keep scraping at the rubber trying to get between it and the spring. It should eventuall come loose and come on in one big piece. Then I took a drill with a wire brush that barely fit in the spring and cleaned the last remaining pieces out.

I guess the inner sleeve came out for ya???

Hope this helps...

John

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally got the stock rubber bushings out and i found that energy suspension does not have the correct frontbushing for the rear leaf of the 2000 s-10, I talked to a guy who has an older s-10 and he said the hole on the back of the leaf spring was the same size as the hole on the front.
on my truck the hole on the rear of the leaf spring is 5.4 CM in diameter, and the hole on the front of the rear leaf spring is 4 CM in diameter.
THEY SENT ME THE WRONG DAMNED BUSHINGS!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts