S-10 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,655 Posts
I wouldn't even know what they're worth. I do know that they're some of "those" S10 parts...wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more say no more. lol
I plan on letting CalTracs solve that problem when I get my LS installed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I plan on letting CalTracs solve that problem when I get my LS installed.
If I went with an economy LSD like I have seen such as a Spartan for under $400, or a more expensive one like a Yukon or Eaton, would that be just a slap in with not much labor, and would that eliminate having to also install a bearing/spline and carrier rebuild kit?

·
Old Fart
4,655 Posts
If I went with an economy LSD like I have seen such as a Spartan for under $400, or a more expensive one like a Yukon or Eaton, would that be just a slap in with not much labor, and would that eliminate having to also install a bearing/spline and carrier rebuild kit?
That depends on what is causing your noise. If it is because of a worn ring and pinion then you are looking at a complete rebuild. If it is a bad bearing then that is another story. A reputable drivetrain shop should be able to inspect it and tell you what you need. I don't know anything about the Spartan but I know Yukon wasn't too pricey at first but when they got established their prices went higher than everyone else's. If you want a conventional limited-slip Eaton is probably the best value but I think the Tru-Trac isn't much more. I just looked at The Spartan and it's what is called a lunch box locker that is designed to go in an open differential to turn it into a locker. You would have to replace your Gov-Lock with an open carrier so that would cancel any savings. Spartan locker $432 Tru-Trac $425 to 497 on EBay.

Reactions: Poncho167

·
Old Fart
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Not a Tru-Trac but same design.

I also found Eaton limited slips for around $275 on Ebay.
Thanks, but that one come up at $425. Would that just slap in if no other issues? I would take it somewhere to confirm of course and get total cost estimate. My budget is under $1,000. If I could repair what I have for under $500 total that would be good. But, if I could upgrade and still have it under $1,000 I may go that way!

·
Old Fart
4,655 Posts
Thanks, but that one come up at $425. Would that just slap in if no other issues? I would take it somewhere to confirm of course and get total cost estimate. My budget is under $1,000. If I could repair what I have for under $500 total that would be good. But, if I could upgrade and still have it under $1,000 I may go that way!
You need to talk to a trustworthy drivetrain shop for those answers. You will need new bearings at the least to swap carriers. noisy rears are usually either bearings or ring and pinion problems.

Reactions: Poncho167

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update on rear end noise:

As mentioned previously, I do not drive this truck much and certainly not during the winter, but it has taken me over 2-years to finally get a closure on this situation. It turns out it was the rear driveshaft creating all of the noise and vibration as I/we thought it was the rear end. I was reviewing accessory driveshafts online along with buyer reviews and decided to purchase the Tadd driveshaft to replace the heavily rusted, probably out of balance, stock driveshaft. With a new rear end seal and this Tadd driveshaft installed, everything is working well with no noticeable noise or vibration. I contemplated getting the center carrier bearing as well, but at this point I am just happy to get this all behind me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm sure it wasn't fun that it took so long, but glad to see it worked out and cost less than $400.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts