S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to upgrade the rear end on my 1949 Studebaker Truck which is utilizing a complete S-10 chassis and rear end. It is out of a 1982 2wd, with a 7.5" ring gear and 3.08 gear ratio. No posi. I am looking at utilizing a rear end out of a 95-97 2wd with a 8.5" ring gear and 3.42 posi gear ratio. I believe the leaf spring perch's are the same, the axle width is the same and the flanges for mounting my brakes have the same bolt pattern, but am not sure. I am also going to guess that the yolk size and length is probably different on the 2 rear ends which would require a drive line modification. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Good luck finding 94-97 2wd 8.5" rearend. 98 up are few and far between and if the seller knows what he has they get real pricey with 3.42 or 3.73 and LSD. I believe they only put them in the 2wd 4.3 5 speeds and that wasn't a sure thing. The HD rearend was not offered as an option so no way to just look at the SPID sticker and tell by an RPO code.
If you don't beat on your truck the 7.5 will work fine and they are easier to find in the G80 GU6 combo. I have a 125K one in my barn. If your in the midwest PM me.
If you do beat on it something heavier might be a better choice like a Ford 8.8 or 9". Or narrow a GM 14 bolt. They're 10.5". Probably won't cost very much if any more than a 94-97 8.5 if you find one.

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
164 Posts
14 bolt (even the SF 9.5) would be way too heavy and overkill for any racing application unless you got 450+ hp. At most, a narrowed 9" would be best to throw under there. A 8.8 would be much easier to find and much cheaper than a 8.5" or 9", at least around here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for suggestions, I have found a couple of 8.5" with posi. I did look up U-joints in Rock Auto and both the 82, 7.5" and the 95-97 8.5" setups use the same U joints.

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
164 Posts
Happened to find this while browsing the marketplace. Reminded me of this thread so I'll post it here in case you are interested and in the area. Log into Facebook

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Good deal, it is a little wider being a zr2 rear but that can be compensated by wheel backspacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts