S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Standard cab 2wd long bed with Drum brakes I want to swap out for a rear disc unit. What year will work

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put a 95 Ford 8.8 from a Ford Explorer. 373 gears, posi, disk brakes..
Yes my truck is a 4x4 but it still should work. I also have heard that the 8.8 from a mustang works as well..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
I have a 1993 Standard cab 2wd long bed with Drum brakes I want to swap out for a rear disc unit. What year will work
Both of your threads are in the wrong place...I'll move this one, and delete the other since they're pretty much the same thing.

Moved to Transmission/Rearend.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
Any year will work, as long as it's 2wd and for ease of install, the same gear ratio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stock Mustang 8.8's have fewer splines than the Ford Explorer 8.8's. You can find the exact gear, posi, and disc brakes for $250 or less in my neck of the woods at local yards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lowest cost and least hassle is a second gen 2 wheel drive AT Blazer with disk brakes. Like another user said try to find the same gear ratio. If your speedo is off and you have stock size tires then check the small plastic box attached to your computer above the kick panel on the passenger side for the code and then you can figure out what ratio it's for.
It is a bolt in except for the emergency brake cable, and depending on what you find in the boneyard you may have to swap out the rear end yoke to match your u-joint.
If you are lucky enough to find a 2nd gen 2wd 5 speed Blazer with the 8.5 inch rear end that would be the next least hassle, cost would depend on where you find one. Of course if you are lucky enough to find one at a u-pullit and they charge the same price for any rearend then grab it. You will have to shorten the drive shaft in addition to what you would have to do above. Plenty of threads on here about how to identify them....
If you use any other rear end then you get into all the stuff other posters have talked about which is the only reason I posted this info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pulled the S-10 rear-end out and sold it (They break when a V8 is installed).
I found a Ford 9" Rear from a 1966 Bronco and had the left side cut 3 inches, I also ordered a set of "Chevy bolt pattern" axles from Moser engineering. I bought the rear Disc brake set-up from Summit racing @ a reasonable price.
Just to clear things up, I'm running a 1990 2WD, 2door S10 Blazer chassis under my 41' Willys Hot-Rod (Their frame's are is the same wheelbase).
1589460514313.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
So are the photos with the new rear end? Looks killer bro....Very Well Done!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts