S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to write this because I have read about a swap and seen pics of the truck after it was done, but have not found an actual thread doing it. The rear end is a 7.625 and when I get the LS motor I will pick up an 8.5 rear end. This rear end was only 150 and I will be able to get all my money back when I sell it.

I picked up this rear end off of a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4x4. Its a 3.73 with g80option. I changed out the axle seals and cleaned it up some. The axle width is 59" compared to the 54ish of the 2wd axle.

First pic is the axle while it was being cleaned up, then a pic of the ZR1 wheels. They are 17x11 with 36mm offset.

Once I get the ZQ8 leaf springs, I will post the whole swap with photo's.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I got my z85 leaf springs and ready to work.

First I jacked up the Jimmy and put it on jack stands.

Here is a before pick

I started by unbolting the lower shocks, disconnecting the parking brake cable (this can be a pain in the ass and works best by removing the rotors and park brake pads. Once the cable is disconnected you have to depress three metal tabs to pull the cable out of the caliper bracket. I pulled the cable as pushed each tab with a screw driver)

After the park brake cable was free I removed the leaf spring ubolts (13/16")

The park brake cable is clipped to the diff at the top, removed it from the click and then unthread the brake line from the frame.

There are clips that hold the brake lines to the frame. Use a screw driver and pry them off.

Last piece still holding the rear end on was the drive shaft. I unbolted it (8mm I think) and made sure it does not slide out of the trans.

I used the calipers and brackets from the 2wd rear, They were in better condition, but I had to use the caliper brake lines from the 4x4 end because they are longer.

I supported the axle with the jack and unbolted the rear leaf springs. I did not want to remove the shackles, so the fit was tight removing the bolts. The rear end was lowered and pulled back.

Here is a pic of the 4x4 rear end with the sway bar attached and ready to install.

The metal brake lines on the axles are the same, so are the cailpers and brackets. The rotors and cailper brake lines are not the same. Rotors are deeper and caliper hose is longer.

I swapped out the leaf springs. The Jimmy had the heavy duty towing leafs and I installed z85 leafs, same as xtreme blazer.

leafs installed waiting for the axle.

There should be more pictures, but I did the swap my self and had to stop and take pics with out covering the camera in grease.

I slid the 4x4 axle on to the leafs and propped the end of the leaf sprins up to get the axle off the ground. It was easy to line up and get the spring perches to sit on the bolt heads.

I attached the ubolts and brackets. The manual says to install the nuts and torque to 18 lb ft, then 73lb ft.

I jacked the axle up high enough the bolt up the rear leaf springs and torqued them to 89 lb ft. after the leafs were bolted I jacket the axle to within 6 to 9 inched of the bump stops and torqued the ubolts to 89 lb ft. Remember to tighten them in a criss cross pattern.

With the axle installed I hooked up the drive shaft (33 lb ft) and attached the sway bar ends (25 lb ft) also the sway bar axle ubolts were torqued (44 lb ft). The shocks were also bolted back up (25 lb ft).

Here is the axle installed

When attaching the parking brake cables remove the rotors, it will save you a lot of time and frustration. Remember to bleed the brakes and adjust the parking brake cables.

Before installing the axle I replaced the axle end seals and refilled it with amsoil 75w-90 severe duty gear oil. The manual calls for 80w-90, but this is better then oem oil. The rear has the G80 option, but DO NOT add friction modifier.

I installed the stock wheels, they look like a funny hot rod or something.

remember to attached the park brake cable to the clip on top of the axle. I did a test drive and all seems well. I will take a few more small trips before driving on the freeway.

I will also have my 17x11 36mm offset ZR1's in a few days and will install and post pics. After this is done I will move to the front and install drop and wheels with adapters. I will use ZR1's 17x9.5 with 38mm offset instead of 56mm offset. The adapters will not be as wide.

If you have questions, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can we make this a sticky? we can change the title if needed?

·
a mintruck is never done
477 Posts
cool to know this works , i have been wondering if this would work for the vette/ camaro wheels . have you tried 4x4 98up spindles for the front? or zr2=wider set? might not need spacers . then a gain the spindles might change the hight some . dads 4x4 seems kinda like my drop spendles looking at the upper a arm height . just a thought , im not big on spacers.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried the spindles, but I think the control arms are where most of the stance comes from in the front. I did get a 38mm offset wheel in front instead of a 56mm offset. Not much difference, but it will shorten the adapter slightly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So what im getting is everything is the same besides the longer brake line? and the biggest problem you ran into was the parking brake correct? how did everything end up working for you

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, the parking brake works fine and the lines are long enough. I have driven it a few miles and all is good. Its currently on jack stands with no control arms. I am installing upper control arms, coils and spindles.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
waiting for control arms, its sitting on 4 jack stands in the garage right now. I should have them in a week. I do have the 17x11's on there and I like them. They stick out slightly and I am debating getting some rear fender flares to cover the tire. I will post pictures soon.

I wouldnt know about the off road abilty because its not going off road.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my finished product. The front is actually low, its the steep driveway makes it look weird. The numbers are

left front:28 1/2
right front:29 1/8
left rear: 28 3/8
right rear:28 3/8

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picutures on level ground. I am debating going to a 17x9.5 or the 50mm offset in the rear. As of right now there it bottoms out occassionally on the aux spring axle mount and the upper frame. If I cut out the mounts it will bottom out on the tire, not too crazy about that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got some 17x9.5 and 17x11 ZR1 camaro offset wheels siting in my garage I had on my old 2000 Z28 and would love to throw them on my S10! can you get a pick of the ZR1's on the car with as good a pic of the rearend to see how much room is in there? nice job btw.

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you need pictures more close up then this? The rear is pretty tight. I have room to get the 50mm offset wheels which would put then about even with the wheel wells.

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks good i just put a set of these 17 inch ZR1 rims on my s10 2 inch spacers with 275/40's all the way around.
-What tire size did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
275/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear

1 - 20 of 28 Posts