S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 Sonoma, and I dropped the rear end, by removing a leaf, and I am using a 3" lowering block. Every time I press the gas, or release the gas pedal the rear end shimmies. Is there a way to resolve this issue. It feels like the rear end yanks to one side when it does it, and I am worried that it will cause me to wreck one day.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go through and check to make sure all nuts/bolts are tight, including the ubolts and leaf spring nuts/bolts. 9 times out of 10 the problem is a loose nut or bolt somewhere.
I already checked everything. Everything is tight. Could the problem be, that one of the leaf spring shackles is broken in half? It is completely tight on both bolts, and I have noticed the replacement ones at the auto parts stores are 2 piece anyways.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
ok second thing to check is to make sure the blocks are both aligned correctly, make sure the holes on the bottom of the blocks are lined up with the leaf spring bolt and the pin on top of the block is lined up with the hole on the axle plate. Angled or flat blocks? Also check to make sure the rearend is straight by measuring the distance between the tire and front fenderwell on both sides.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok second thing to check is to make sure the blocks are both aligned correctly, make sure the holes on the bottom of the blocks are lined up with the leaf spring bolt and the pin on top of the block is lined up with the hole on the axle plate. Angled or flat blocks? Also check to make sure the rearend is straight by measuring the distance between the tire and front fenderwell on both sides.
Both blocks are lined up with their exact holes. They are flat blocks. And I measured both wheels and they are both exactly the same, so the rearend must be straight.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics of the rear end:

Passenger rear ^
Drivers rear

Driver rear shackle ^

Passenger rear shackle ^

Driver Rear block and Leaf ^

Passenger rear Block and Leaf ^

Even though the pics look like there is a gap in between the block an axle tube, there is no gap, just a clean spot from where the leaf was on it. On the shackles, you can see where the passenger side is broken and split, and on the drivers side where it is dented in. The dent and cracking occured from the tow hitch that used to be on the truck.

·
Banned
9,778 Posts
did you only lower the back or did you do the front also?

i have the same problem and i'm trying to figure out what it is

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I pulled the overload leaf. At the time I did that I was told that was the leaf to pull, but found out later it was the wrong one, and I cant get one anywhere. The front is lowered also. I got it with cut springs already on it. The one shackle is broken all the way through.

·
Registered
622 Posts

are you sure that the shackle isn't giving you the problem... i can't belive that its still driveable.. dude seriously get that thing fixed b4 u kill yourself or someone else

·
Negative 10
22,389 Posts
ok well i would definatly get the overload leaf back on and get some real drop coils for the front. cut springs is a bad idea. and i had the same shifting problem. all i did was re position my blocks. u bolts were a little lose so they moved and it fixed it right up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would you pull the overload leaf? You shoud have pulled the leaf(s) in the middle. or You can do what I did and suck up the cost (which is'nt expensive, less that $200) and buy the drop leafs.

·
Black 95 SS
48 Posts

are you sure that the shackle isn't giving you the problem... i can't belive that its still driveable.. dude seriously get that thing fixed b4 u kill yourself or someone else
I agree, that needs to be fixed asap bro, that could be a very ugly accident and possibly dangerous for anyone behind or beside you if that would give out, god knows what might break and fly out from underneath your truck if that breaks:eek:

I would also replace those cut springs, I dont know if anyone else here has seen it before, but since a cut spring doesnt have the flat factory bend to sit in the pocket right, it puts and extremely large amount of pressure on the bevel in the pocket, I have seen lower control arms actually break around the shock mount holes. Just a suggestion.

You can get replacement shackles from summit or any parts store I would imagine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts