S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what rear ends typically come on these trucks? I was looking at getting one for a basic commuter, and to haul my 4 wheeler with once and awhile, and I was curious what gears they came with and what fuel mileage was associated with the diff. gears. Thanks for any help.

·
General L33
1,948 Posts
you would be happier w/ the 4.3, or wait until the 4.2 inline 6 comes out. 270hp out of the box, stock.

My truck before mods was getting 21-22 (w/ 3.08s), now it's getting 19 (w/3.73 limited slip w/ a bunch of bolt ons.. and can't keep my foot out of it).

I have talked w/ a lot of people w/ the 4 banger, rode and drove one myself, and they have no balls. I kinda feel sorry for them. I'm not saying my truck is almighty, but I would never consider an engine that small in our trucks that weigh 3-4,000 lbs.

One of the guys here SuperSlow is getting around 22-23 w/ his ext cab 4. Not impressive if you ask me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been doing some research and it seems that the mileage varies alot...from low 20's up to 31 or 32...

my dads 95 Sonoma with the 4.3 vortec only gets about 19-20, and for a daily driver, thats just too low, especially with gas prices like they are. I know it will be underpowered, but I'm not really used to driving a big block anyways. I drive about 120-130 miles a day for work, so I need something cheap and reliable.

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
96, reg. cab, 4-banger, 5spd, 3.73's, 26mpg.

94, reg. cab, CPI vortec v6, auto, 3.42's, 22.3mpg

not to bad on either account. I don't have a light foot either:cool: bone stock, intake to tailpipe on both trucks

I'd take the extra 80hp over 4mpg anyday :D

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
highly modified 2.8 around 13 mpg

if u want mpg leave it alone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts