S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chasing noises again...

I just swapped in the rear end from a 1999 Jimmy into my '97 S10. Same ratio (3.26? GU6, anyway) and the new rear end has the G80 LSD and disk brakes.

Swapped it in, changed the differential oil after cleaning the housing out with carb cleaner, filled it with synthetic 80/90 and took it for a spin.

It's whining, between 45-70. Sound starts at 42, it's loud by 45 and then becomes higher pitched and quieter with speed until it is pretty much gone by 75-80. Same on dirt or pavement, and disappears within 100 RPM if I get off the throttle. Comes back instantly when I get back on the throttle.

Any ideas where to start?

Merlyn

·
time to get cereal
3,371 Posts
How did the gears look when you had the cover off? Did you inspect them?

Reactions: Merlyn

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did the gears look when you had the cover off? Did you inspect them?
Now that you mention it, I didn't rotate the diff to look at the ring gear all the way around, but the parts I could see looked good, and at some point someone hot-glued a magnet to the inside of the cover, and it didn't have much of anything on it. The oil didn't have anything particularly chunky in it, but it only had about a teacup full in it.

I kinda feel dumb now, for not checking it over closer- Thanks!

:: grin ::

Merlyn

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
All GM truck rear ends with the Gov Lock have a magnet on the cover. I agree that the low oil may have caused problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Update:

Yep, the bearings were shot to ****.

Turned out for the best- I found another GU6/G80 rear in an 01 S10 at the pull and pay. So now I have the correct bump stops and a much quieter differential.

Thanks, everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts