S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a possitive traction rear end with 3:07's I haven't got a chance to run it and see what it will do...so what should I expect????? Also what is the best gears I use to get a good quarter mile speed and pretty high top speed and still be able to smoke the **** out of the tires??? ( I'm running 15's and the truck isn't lowered)

·
Registered
120 Posts
well it depends on how tall a tire your gonna run.I ran some numbers for ya.If you keep the 3.07 gear and run a 26 inch tall tire at 5500 rpm you will be doing 138 mph. now go to a taller tire like a 28 inch tire and it will be 149 at 5500. My suggestion is go with a 28 inch tire(like a 275/60/15) on a 8 inch wheel with 4.5 to 5 inch backspacing and use a 3.42 gear and you will be doing 134 mph at 5500 plus you will still run strong in the 1/4.If you change the gear to a 3.73 you speed will be 122 mph with the 28 inch tire
what kinda rpm are you gonna turn you 383? if you give me that I can rerun the numbers for ya.

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what your saying is that I can get a good speed with my rear end(Thats with the proper tire)..........I'v had two guys tell me I could and another say I would be running 60 at 2500 rpm...........................ill go check out the tires right now and get the numbers back to you (so you can check them out)and i figure since its a 4 bolt main I can run a pretty high rpm without breaking something.

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok.........It read on the side of my tire 235/60/15.....and I dont know if you need this or not but the tire is roughly 25 1/2 inches from the ground to the top of the tire and the rim is 15 in diameter and 8 inches wide. Thanks for your help so far as you can see i know nothing about rear ends and such but i do know motors :whogives:

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok heres some numbers for ya again,Ill keep the rpm to 6000,trust me thats more than enough to get big speed!
Ill use your same tire,the book shows it at 26 inches tall which would be about right considering what you measured.here goes
5500 rpm,26 inch tire,3.42 gear=124 mph

6000 rpm,26 inch tire,3.42 gear=135 mph

5500 rpm,28 inch tire,3.42 gear=134 mph

6000 rpm,28 inch tire,3.42 gear=146 mph

26 inch tire,3.42 gear,65 mph=2900 rpm

28 inch tire,3.42 gear,65 mph=2700 rpm

hope that helps ya out some,email me if ya want

·
V8ed at birth
30 Posts
the higher your rear end ratio, the better your low end will be. you also have to take your trans into account when you're playing with numbers. i'm running a turbo 350 with 3.73posi, the low end feels badass, but on the freeway at 3000rpm i'm barely hitting 65mph. and this is with 275/60r15, it was worst when i was running the same tires you are. ...............anyway, there's only one way to find out!.......let us know how it goes.

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are all those numbers you gave me with a posi with 3:07's??? or 3.42's??? I would greatly apperciate those numbers and I'm going to stick with the 25 1/2 inch tall tires so please give me the numbers with the 3:07's and my tires......THANK YOU very much for your help again! :dunno: :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
those numbers are all with a 3.42 gear ,but with 2 different tire sizes.I used 26 inch and 28 inch tire sizes. here goes the numbers for ya these are at 5500 rpm with your tire at 25.5 inches tall and a 3.07 gear is gonna be 135 mph. Now at 6000 rpm with a 25.5 inch tall tire and a 3.07 gear is gonna be 148 mph.I dont think you would need that kinda speed on the street.Honestly where would you get enough room to open up your truck to those speeds,plus I almost would bet it would try to float off the road with the way the front end is made.In my opinion i would run the 3.42 with a big street tire,you would still be able to get over 135 mph on top end,then on the track use a short slick,like a 26/10.5/15 to give it some bottom end. A 3.42 gear is a good gear to run,kinda like the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
745 Posts
RPM and speed computers

There are many great tools for our usage out there,when you are looking at your est. speeds on a ratio computer ,you need to take aero dynamics into consideration.S-10s dont have good aero dynamics,so your speeds will be quiet a bit off.I have seen formulas to measure drag resistance on the net,(I just cant remember where!)If you intend to drive your 10 at higher speeds than allowed(None of us would do that,LOL)Make sure you have a good chassis set-up.Be on the safe side and invest in some good shocks,stabalizer bars,energy sus. cab mounts really help tighten your truck up.

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks A Lot For Your Help Guys :)

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will let you guys know but its going to be a while im just getting ready to strip everything off the frame and sand blast and paint then im painting the body and sticking the motor . trans . and rear end back and and then the body back on! it should be a work of art when im finished (god i hope so) but ill tell ya how it goes as soon as i can ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.