S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna change the oil in my rear-end tomorrow and the manual says to "USE ONLY GM PART NO 1052271. DO NOT ADD FRICTION MODIFIER."

Any reason I can't go to the auto parts store and just get some regular 80W-90 gear oil? Also, will the bottle say whether it has friction modifier in it?

For the transfer case it says use Auto Transfer Case Fluid GM NO. 12378396. Can I just use Dexron III Auto Transmission Fluid without worry?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
hey dude,
Are you from Surry, Maine? I grew up in Brunswick. Its lots better up there than down here in the swamp. Anyway, what is your rearend? Does it have limited slip from the factory? What year is your truck?
I know the GM 5 speed transmissions (also used in Dodges) should stick to a proper grade synthetic. As for the rear ends, it kind of depends on whether its open or limited slip. I might tend towards using a synthetic gear oil. I've got Valvoline full synthetic 75-90 in my 96 open diffy, and have had no probs. GM doesn't make its own gear oil, a company like Mobil or Valvoline makes it to their specs.
As for the transfer case, I'm using valvoline semi-synthetic ATF. It was the only thing available at the time. No probs. Any barnd name ATF, dexron III should be OK. They just don't want you using Type F ATF or ATF+3 or 4.
Hope i helped

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jerseybud said:
hey dude,
Are you from Surry, Maine? I grew up in Brunswick. Its lots better up there than down here in the swamp. Anyway, what is your rearend? Does it have limited slip from the factory? What year is your truck?
I know the GM 5 speed transmissions (also used in Dodges) should stick to a proper grade synthetic. As for the rear ends, it kind of depends on whether its open or limited slip. I might tend towards using a synthetic gear oil. I've got Valvoline full synthetic 75-90 in my 96 open diffy, and have had no probs. GM doesn't make its own gear oil, a company like Mobil or Valvoline makes it to their specs.
As for the transfer case, I'm using valvoline semi-synthetic ATF. It was the only thing available at the time. No probs. Any barnd name ATF, dexron III should be OK. They just don't want you using Type F ATF or ATF+3 or 4.
Hope i helped
Yes I am in Surry. Great area up here, but I'd actually enjoy being a bit more north.

I ended up driving to the nearest open GM parts place this morning and getting their GM labled rear end grease. Better safe than sorry. As far as the ATF goes I got some Havoline Dexron-III ATF to put in my T-Case and to do my Transmission Filter tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply, put my mind at ease a bit on the t-case.

Truck is a 2000 4x4 Ext Cab 4.3L. I think it's limited slip, but I haven't looked at the codes in the glove box to be sure. It's also an automatic transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts