I am going to put 373 in my rear end , I have someone helping me thats done this before. I want to know is in order to put this ring and pinion in there do I have to take the rear end completely out? Also do I need any speacial tools?
You will not need to take the rearend housing out, you will however need to do the following:
1. Disconnect driveshaft to allow removal of pinion, remove pinion nut.
2. Remove rear wheels to allow the axles to be pushed in for the c clips to drop out.
3. Remove differential cover.
4. Remove 4 bolts holding the bearing caps on, remove cross pin from differential carrier.
5. Pull carrier out of housing, if reusing the same carrier make sure to keep track of the which shims go with what side, you should be able to reuse these without reshimming.
6. Remove old ring from carrier, install new one. You will then need to remove the old pinion and most likely you will need to reshim the new pinion. These measurements are critical, you don't want your gears to bind up.
7. Get some GM gear paint and check the mesh of the pinion with the ring, the marks left should be uniform.
8. Put everything else back together like you took it out, use a new gasket on the cover and bolt it back up. Refill with some hypoy c 75w90 gear lube (autozone sells castrol, you can use whatever type you want) along with limited slip additive.
9. Enjoy! I think I covered most everything, but when going to a new carrier you will probably need to reshim the carrier as well, this is another critical measurement that needs to be precise. Good Luck.