S-10 Forum banner
3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Biglambo0123 
#1 ·
I have an 03 s10 and about 5 months ago I heard a horrible knock while turning left, me and my dad came to the conclusion that is was the rear end, so when we pulled the rear end apart we found that the carrier bearings were looser than a (insert slur here) on $3 saturday, so we replaced them and we finally got it back on the road tonight and it is still doing the same thing, just not as bad, we haven’t greased the constant velo joint. We are 99% certain that it is coming from the rear end but we were also certain that replacing the bearings would solve the problem. Any suggestions as to what to look at and diag?

#3 ·
Rear ends are very complex in how to reassemble them, for proper gear lash and pattern. If the lash is not set right the gears will make a noticeable clunk. If the pattern isn’t right the gears will howl. The pinion needs a certain amount of preload and depth as well if the preload is off the bearings could fail quickly, or the pinion will wobble and all sorts of odd sounds like clunks and squeals can happen.

Other things can cause a thump so the leaf spring bushings being bad, the U bolts mounting the springs to the rear engine being loose, or the center support bearing being bad, if you have a 2 piece driveline.

Oh, and U-joints too.

#7 ·
700-1200 seems really high, I got one for $150 and they torched it out of the truck and put it in the back of mine for me.

#8 ·
The only ones I've seen much over $100 are the super rare highly sought after 8.5 2wd with G80 and either 3.42 or 3.73 gears.
A generic S10 rearend in the upper midwest is a throw away item in most junkyards. Most S10's rust out around here long before the rear end goes. So there is plentiful supply.
Last one I bought off Craigslist was $100 and it was a 100K mile ZR2 3.73 G80 8.5. Too wide for a standard truck and no demand for them.

#13 ·
when we first heard it we thought it was the carrier bearing in the rear end, so we pulled the rear end apart and replaced those bearings and while we the axles out we replaced the axle bearings too. we drove it for a little while and finally came to the conclusion that it was the hangar bearing making the noise cause we could feel the strut vibrating the doors when it was making that noise.

#14 ·
no we didnt think to check those, but we are replacing the hangar bearing now because when we test drove it we felt a vibration whenever id give it gas and it felt like the doors were shaking. so when we got home we got up under it one more time and checked the hangar bearing because thats the only thing sitting on that sits on that strut down there and I grabbed the middle driveshaft and I could move it up and down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.