S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Post Whore?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its gotta happen..my blazer is in desperate need of a tranny rebuild...sucks ass, no one wants to spend $1000 bucks on a damn tranny! anyways, i recently installed a zexel torsen in my rear end, and we didnt measure backlash or any of that good stuff. how much should i expect to pay a shop to make everything good..its already installed i just need them to tweak it a little... :doh:

·
Broke Mini-Trucker
139 Posts
Its not really that hard to do it yourself. Im not sure what kind of setup you have but they are all relativly simple. All you need is an inch pound torque wrench and a dial indicator. Unless you have to shim the pinion (like the ford 8 inch) then I would take it to the dealer.

If I were you I would get a book that lists the steps on how to set backlash and do it yourself to save you some $. You may want to replace the cruchable spacer (if you have one). You are only supposed to use it 1 or 2 times. Hope I helped. Good luck!

·
Post Whore?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where could i get the thing to set the backlash myself? would it be something autozone has? ive got a few estimates from shops saying it will take 4-10 hours at $65 an hour which is complete bullshit. it took less than an hour and a half to take my old one out and put this one in.

·
Broke Mini-Trucker
139 Posts
Im not too sure that they would carry a dial indicator or not, check out craftsman tools. You will most likely have to order one and they might run about 100 bucks or so for a good one. But thats still better than 65x4.. I just seen a post that you should checkout. It gives nice details and all the specs... go to the "s-series how to" board and find the zexel torsen install. He explains it in much better details than I can. Later man, Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts