S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the rear is a 84 2wd drum and the disk brakes came off of a 80s model camaro... the guy i bought them from on ebay said they would fit, but they dont.?? Do i need new backing plates or can i modify my rear end to accept them??

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
aren't there already predrilled holes on your axle? if so, mate up the holes on the backing plate, and if i remember correctly you're going to have to cut down the flange on the axle so that backing plate will fit. i know this is for the ls1 rear brakes, not sure if it's the same deal on those 80s camaro brakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They might only bolt right up to the new 90 (or so) up rear ends. They came with a different mounting flange on the axle tubes. I got some disks of a S-Blazer and am making my own flange. The flange on the 4 wheel drive axle also sits in an eztra 3/4" or so. later

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i modify my existing bracket does the caliper need to be facing up like in
picture 3 or facing toward the front horazontal like in these pics of a 4x4 and 2x4? Also does the bracket need to be spaced flush with the end of the axle tube? Any close up pics of stock blazers or disc swaps would be appreciated.. thanks guys...

<----- front

front ------ >

·
LS6 S10
324 Posts
Ok, most of the setup is going to be custom, so if you mess it up, well, thats bad.

First the rear disk brakes of a 80's camaro look like this, with the caliper on top, facing outward.

Next thing I would do is take the caliper mounting braket and line up the holes, with the ones on the axle flange. You will probably have to cut 2 new holes and drill out the current one. Once that is done, try to get the caliper on, it probably wont fit, so you will need to cut some of the top of the axle flange.

That is pretty much what I did with my brakes, but mine where alittle harder because the brakes I got where off of a 00+ 2wd blazer.

If you got anymore questions, just PM me and also search for my brake threads too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts