S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,

I already got out the spare tire crossmember, and am now working on the upper shock mount crossmember.

For some reason the factory decided to lay a fatty weld bead about 3" along the top where it meets the frame.

what is the easiest way to get it off? I started drilling it out ( I drilled 4 - 1/2" holes in a row) it was the only way I could think of doing it with saving the most material on the frame.

Is it ok to do it this way? I am just going to weld a small patch under the hole to restore the metal thats missing.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Yea... just take a cutting wheel and grind through the weld all the way down, and hammer it off once the rivets are gone.

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya grinding it down was my other option.

I dont have a plazma cutter or sawzall yet.

Does anyone know where you can get those 'donuts' of steel tubing, the ones that you can cut up to make curves and stuff.
Im not sure where to start looking for them. and how much they are gonna cost.

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
jc whitney has them, I believe they are really cheap. For making custom exhaust right?

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no Im not making custom exhaust. I am making a bridge section for my notches. I was thinking about the exhaust tubing, but will it be strong enuf? im not sure.

does anyone know what the wall thickness of exhaust is? or if it will be strong enuf to use?

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found a site that said their standard thickness is 16ga. but they have 14ga. also.

Is 16.ga thick enuf? it seems too thin

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found a guy that makes sandrails. he uses 1-1/2" seamless tubing. .065" and .083". seamless is stronger than welded tubing though...

if anyone has made their own bridge let me know what you used. I am gonna go buy some stuff tomorrow hopefully

1 - 10 of 10 Posts