S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you take the bumper off and you see the rear frame chassis bent 45 degrees inward and you only need to pull it back straight, what do you do? I have searched almost all body shop and they all wont do it, saying it is very strong steel and needs a bigger machine. hmm - This is a 2001 Chevy S10 LS extended (4.3l) I live in DC - anywhere within 45 min drive proximity is fine with me.

I only need this to be fixed in order for me to install a trailer hitch, nothing more!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
A come along and a BIG tree

·
Been there Done it
11,461 Posts
It appears as tho the bed is damaged and will need to come off. Once you have better access to it I would think an OxyAcetylene torch to get the whole section glowing pink and while that warm the come along or some other similar device would work.
Or go to a junk yard and cut off the section you need from another and weld it in place of the bent section. I'd go about a foot father forward because it looks bent at the shackle area. You can fish plate and box the new piece to be sure it's strong enough. I'd think once the box is off any competent welding shop could handle it either method.
Might help if you got those shackle bolts loosened for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears as tho the bed is damaged and will need to come off. Once you have better access to it I would think an OxyAcetylene torch to get the whole section glowing pink and while that warm the come along or some other similar device would work.
Or go to a junk yard and cut off the section you need from another and weld it in place of the bent section. I'd go about a foot father forward because it looks bent at the shackle area. You can fish plate and box the new piece to be sure it's strong enough. I'd think once the box is off any competent welding shop could handle it either method.
Might help if you got those shackle bolts loosened for them.
Im only needing to install a trailer hitch, the ends needs to be aligned in order to bolt them in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you take the bumper off and you see the rear frame chassis bent 45 degrees inward and you only need to pull it back straight, what do you do? I have searched almost all body shop and they all wont do it, saying it is very strong steel and needs a bigger machine. hmm - This is a 2001 Chevy S10 LS extended (4.3l) I live in DC - anywhere within 45 min drive proximity is fine with me. View attachment 350383
A rep from GM came to our shop years ago to give a technical lecture.
In short, heating steel red hot & pulling in place only causes it to lose about 2% of it's strength.
Google might be able to confirm or dispell this info but, it might be useful to you soon. Either by helping the repair or info telling how not to make the repair. I'm sure you'll be able to look up the best technique online.

·
Registered Offender
676 Posts
It would not take a lot of porta-power to controllably push that back into place. A key will be to chain up the RH frame rail to the LH rail diagonally to push ONLY the twisted section of the LH rail. I'm a little surprised that a frame shop didn't offer an estimate. Perhaps there are no REAL fram shops in the DC area any more. There isn't much of anything else there involving thinking, so it wouldn't be completely unexpected.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Is it repaired yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My suggestion would be get a strong maybe 3/4 or 1" ready rod with a pipe and plate on the end as well as a bolt to slowly push it back out.

Or a solid square stock and a hydrolic pump jack.

But you also need to secure the top of the frame as well. And the lower area before the frame damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have a concrete driveway use 1 inch wide concrete inserts with 3/4-10 thrreads and 3/4-10 eyebolts with 1 1/2 id.

Should be able to rent a hammer drill and the drill bit to make the holes.

You will need at least 3 each, 2 for the non pull side as anchor points front and back , 1 for the pull side.

Chain the truck to the non pull side then use a 4 ton come-along to do the pull. As you tighten the come-along it will pull the truck sideways til the anchor chains tighen.

You can use 4 x 6 blocks stacked of cut to the correct height on on the pull side to get a straight pull.

I used this method on a Chevy HD 2500, that had a bent front frame.

The tree or telephone ideas only work if you have 2 trees or 2 telephone poles close together.

I would weld sacrificial pull tabs on the frame with bolt holes of a size that fits through the chain. bolt the chain to the sacraficial tabs, then pull it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts