S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the shocks today and I noticed the driver's rear bump stop mount had a large rust hole in it. I started poking at it and the whole thing basically disintegrated. Looked like dirt got up in it somehow and caused it to rust out. Does anyone know if I can get a whole replacement mount? Or will I need to fabricate something? My metal fabrication tools are basically limited to a welder and a grinder, so I need to come up with a solution given those limitations. Appreciate any help or suggestions.

1994 S10 4.3 extended cab

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not lowered, nor have any interest in lowering. Maybe I should just post in the lowering section that I'm looking for a bump stop mount and someone can sell me one. :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should say that I'm worried about wrecking my nice new shocks, I splurged and got Bilsteins. The truck is our work house, we're planning a 400 mile move sometime in the next year so it's going to see a lot of road miles. I'm taking the time now to get anything iffy sorted out.

Also slowly cobbling together parts and funds for a LS swap. The 4.3 is tired after 290,000 miles.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,322 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the shocks or bottoming out. Bilsteins here also. I'm lowered 3"on top of the ZQ8 suspension...never bottomed out. If you're really worried about it, you can get a screw on bump stop from Summit and drill/tap a hole in the frame. Most guys are not surgical in their removal of the bump stop bracket, so I doubt you'll get any hits in the Wanted to buy section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a big "have faith in the engineers" guy. If they weren't needed, I can't imagine GM would expend the effort to install them. They might not be critical with your lowering springs, but maybe on a stock suspension they're meant to prevent the over extension of the leaf spring. Just a thought. I'll poke around Summit and see if I can find anything suitable. Failing that I can weld up a box out of 1/8" plate.

·
time to get cereal
3,214 Posts
I don't think you'll notice if it's there or not. An overload leaf (short flat leaf on bottom) is what is used to keep the leafs from moving too far when loaded. Since your bracket is rusted out, it would probably be getting bent up if the axle was hitting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts