S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bags for the front of my ride but dont know what to do about the back (I cant afford bags for out back). I was thinking about removing half the leaf pack and hopefully that would drop the axle to the frame(I cant afford to notch but I would like to go as low as possible, I will be cutting the bump stops). I want some type of adjustment out back too. If I remove around half the leafpack and do air shocks would that be able to bring me back up, would I risk axle wrap, would I risk breaking the springs? Another thing I was thinking is to use an air helper kit to bring it back up when I drive, but I wouldnt be able to go as low with that would I? Wouldnt the bag and bracket make its lowest higher because it would put more metal(metal being the bag and bracket) between the frame and axle?

I hope to achieve at least a 6 or 7in drop like this and be able to bring the back up at least 3 inches to ride around. Please tell me what you think

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
Another thing I was thinking is to use an air helper kit to bring it back up when I drive, but I wouldnt be able to go as low with that would I? Wouldnt the bag and bracket make its lowest higher because it would put more metal(metal being the bag and bracket) between the frame and axle?
The helper air bag kit doesn't go between the axle and frame, it fits on the spring, and goes up to the frame. The kit I am most familiar with is air ride's. If you go to their website at www.ride-tech.com you can see it in thier online catalog on page 4. It is part #ARK2004. I recently installed it on a customers truck, and with 3" drop springs, 4" block, and a C-notch it sat about 1/2" off the ground. That is with 215/40 17's. So it can get pretty low. He is happy with the ride, and it only costs a little over $200.
Hope this helps ya a little.
Larry
www.innovativeairsuspension.com

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it doesnt go between the axle and frame, but some attach to the leaf right above the axle. When you said a C-notch did you mean the small ones? Can U get a C-notch that is complely bolt on and if so will it eventually do damage to the frame. Also what kit did you use?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I used the AirRide kit listed in my first post. It is AirRides ARK 2004. The picture on thier site doesn't show it with a block, but imagine a four inch block in there. It lifts the axle up above the spring. Letting the axle go into the notch while keeping the spring far enough from the frame so the bag has room to collapse.
Yeah I just used a small C notch. No hole in the bed. I know people make bolt in notches. I have never used one. I just make my own and weld them in. They are similar to the one altophobic posted a picture of recently.

·
damned 4banger
5,742 Posts
damn i have been on several threads like this. but i never look at the dates until someone mentions it... but damn that is 4years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts