S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am going to start the Airbag process on the rear of my 96' S10. I want to very much lay frame, but like 99% of us on here there is the issue of how much money I actually have to spend.

For the rear, all I am going to really need is Air Ride's AirOverLeaf setup. For $225 that is not too bad. Unless someone on this forum offers the same for less, did not see this setup on Jason's site.

I already have lowered the truck in the most traditional of ways. It's riding mono-leaf with the load bearing leaf in place also, there is a 2" block stuck in there also. I am going to be cutting off my bump stops tomorrow.

What exactly do I have to do to make this Air Over Leaf kit actually work? I am thinking the obvious, a 450 compressor with I would say a nice 5 gallon tank? Valves, etc. AKA Jason's 450 Compressor kit works for me at $560

Now that I have the tank, compressor, valves, airline, and of course my trusty air over leaf setup...what do I do with them? Has anyone had experience with this kind of setup in the past and if so give me all of your knowledge! I demand it! :finger:

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
No experience here with it... I saved and jumped straight for the 4 link. I can offer a few tips and advice tho.

The air-over-leaf kit is a very simple kit to install and use. You will want to dearch your longest leaf, and keep the overload leaf that you still have, and you will want to use a 4" angled block. With that combo and the air-over-leaf kit, you should come pretty damn close to hittin the ground if you install a small bolt in notch, and your tire size is under 24.7" tall.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, my mistake. Yeah, my wheel's are 17's and they are lowpro tires. Not sure exactly what the numbers are right off the top of my head.

Thought you don't need a notch so long as you keep the wheel size under 20"? Especially on the 2nd generations.

As for those 4" angled blocks, anyone know where they are in supply? Also forgot to list getting two toggle switches for wiring directly together for front and back so I don't have four serperate switches. Could get a set of duel needle guages to watch all of the bags, correct?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Well if you're gonna get 8 valves, you might as well get 4 switches. You will actually want 4 switches. Here's why, since you may wonder...

So you air up the front of the truck, using that one switch you want... then one of the fittings has a small leak on it that slowly leaks out... well when you notice it on the gauge, you, of course, will want to lift that corner back up, but you can't, because you don't have a switch to do it with. If you hit just that one switch you have for the front, both front bags will inflate, not just the one you want.

This is different from when people only have two switches for a front/back setup with only 4 valves, because the front bags share the same air in that situation, so you only need one switch.

You don't need a notch if the TIRE DIAMETER is under 20", not the wheel size. If you have a 245-40-17 or 235-40-17 or 225-40-17 then you will be able to lay with a bolt-in c-notch.

Dual needle gauges would work fine.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The last S10 I installed an air over leaf on sat about a 1/2" off the ground. It was mono leafed with a 4" tapered block and had 215/40-17's, and a small c notch. The rear end hitting the bed floor is what held it up.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for valves and switches? I hear some people that rig each switch up to a relay, then some people don't...what is the best way to go about wiring my rear setup?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I think you 'hearing' the relay part was from another person in a thread. Even if it wasn't, a relay is pointless to use on valves.

Do a search on the bag forum for wiring diagrams, I've made a couple for some people and posted them in the threads, so they are still there, where ever they are... lol

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
Maxwolf said:

For the rear, all I am going to really need is Air Ride's AirOverLeaf setup. For $225 that is not too bad. Unless someone on this forum offers the same for less, did not see this setup on Jason's site.

Hey dude where did you find that setup for that price, i'm interested.
Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: Re: Rear Bag Setup

anotherblacks10 said:
Hey dude where did you find that setup for that price, i'm interested.
Thanks
Thats how much Air Ride Tech. sells it for out of their catalogue. Larry over at Innovative I think has it for $202. Just thought I'd point that out.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
air ride techs air over leaf has 1/4" ports, thats what i'm running right now

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
anotherblacks10

between air over leaf and air shocks in rear i would def go with air over leaf because air shocks are not designed to be played with all the time like bags are

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
MiKeZ97MiNi said:
anotherblacks10

between air over leaf and air shocks in rear i would def go with air over leaf because air shocks are not designed to be played with all the time like bags are
so you guys with that setup, how fast is it even with that 1/4" port? I'm not trying to hit sides i just don't want the front to pop up like it does now and the rear takes it's sweet time to get up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
anotherblacks10 said:
so you guys with that setup, how fast is it even with that 1/4" port? I'm not trying to hit sides i just don't want the front to pop up like it does now and the rear takes it's sweet time to get up.

just to give you idea you can use 3/8 valves and 1/2 inch line with those 1/4 ports and still get the max flow rate out of it all.
you won't be dissappointed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts