S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at the junkyard today to grab a rear end for my '97 S10 (GU6 code axle, 4wd 4.3l).

They of course don't have a pickup with that rear end, but they DO have a 2000 Jimmy with GU6 rear end AND posi. It's a disk rear end though. My question is- are those rear ends "bolt up" interchangable?

Bonus question: if I grab the calipers and master cylinder of the Jimmy, can I convert my truck to rear disk? That'd be kinda handy, if so.

Merlyn

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
Moved to Wheels/Tires/Brakes.

Plug and play...as long as it's from a 4x4. You'll need to hook up the emergency brake. Some guys have had luck using stock cables of the correct length.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

My S10 is back on the road, minus the dying bearing noise from the differential bearings, and now with a posi rear and disk brakes!

Thanks!

Merlyn

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update again:

After the rear end swap/disk rear conversion (Currently I'm running a GU6/G80 disk rear end out of a 4WD 2001 S10) I have even mushier than normal brakes.

I've bled the brakes a half-dozen times, this last time with a mighty-vac. She already has a new master cylinder and junkyard fresh ABS pump.

Te pedal is decent if not great with the truck off, and the brakes work well enough to be safe to drive, but with the truck running I can push the pedal almost all the way to the floor. She'll stop from any speed I have the guts to test from well before that point, but seems like I shouldn't be able to get the pedal that far down at all.

Any suggestions?

Merlin

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
That's probably not likely. The Chinese clones are about $300. If you can get to a shop that does brakes without killing yourself, they can do it for you....maybe $100.

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
61 Posts
You can buy a vcx nano that comes with a tech 2 win subscription for $110 and use it with a laptop. A snap on scanner will also do an automated bleed. Also, there is a plastic cap on the abs module with a flathead screw that bleeds the pump. It takes patience and a lot of brake fluid.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
That's probably not likely. The Chinese clones are about $300. If you can get to a shop that does brakes without killing yourself, they can do it for you....maybe $100.
How did you do yours when you did the brake upgrade?

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
Anyone in the Denver area have a one of those I can borrow/use? There's free beer in it for you...

Merlin
Let us know who you found in the Denver area to help you out? I will be needing mine done soon as I am about ready to upgrade my brakes and I'm in Aurora. I'm also going to ask my friend that is a Matco dealer for help since he is a former tech and a Chevy guy. If I find out anything first I will let you know but with the holiday I will not see him until Monday.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
How did you keep it from draining too much out and getting air in before the ABS? I have both ends to do you know along with new hoses.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
I worked fast...one at a time. As long as you have a well thought out plan, it goes pretty quick. I know your entire rear is being replaced..just have to keep an eye on the m/c.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts