S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do i need to do with the steering wheel and pedels when cutting the cab? im cutting the floor in a few hrs.. so hopefully someone is still awake on here. ill check this thread before i actually make the cuts so i have that info. thanx, to who can help me.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
steering wheel??? nothing really. i movedmy column up an over about an 1inch to get some clearance, but you shouldnt dothat till your actually dropped. pedals i just cut mine off bout halfway up the shafts.... i had a huge drop so you may not need to go that far up.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so how would i go about moving it, once the floor is cut and i suppose after its welded back up?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yeah i had my wall tacked up and near done. laid the truck out and found out the arm was hittin the knuckle when laid out. you can change knuckles, run tubular arms, notch arm, move the hole for the column up and over.... theresa buncha ooptions, i would lay the truck then find the "problems"

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i gotcha, ok well ill see in a lil bit :) thanx for the tips.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx bro. ok so you shortened the gas pedel, what about the brake pedel or (clutch if u had that)?

·
GETTING V8'ED
12,238 Posts
i have an automatic, so i didnt have to worry about a clutch...the brake pedal didnt really need to be messed with...i did get a smaller brake booster tho, and i had to modify the rod off the stock pedal to connect to the new booster...thats all that really happened with the brakes.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanx, that pretty much answers both my q's.

thanx guys :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yeah ya may not need to mess with the brake pedal... just depends on the size of the drop

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i measured the diference in height of the bed and the cab by starting at the top bed rail and measuring up to the top of the cab lip where both bed and cab look the same (at the bed rail) and the measurement came out to 3 and 1/4". now about a 1/16" gap is between the bed rocker and the ground. so do i make a 3 and 1/4" cut at the back fire wall and the front fire wall?

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this pix pretty much shows what im talking about.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
are you layin frame flat out in that pic? at 3.25 you should be layin HARD unless you have crossmembers or something holdin you up. but yes you need to take out exactly what you did on the cab. do you not have a measurement of the stock bed floor height and now? that will tell ya exaclty what is dropped

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
frame is about an 1" off the ground. there is no crossmember in place. the bed is not the original one. i still have the stock one i guess i can measure that and see the diference. give me a couple min. to post back.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
the original bed is 17 1/16" from floor to top of bed rail. the bed on my frame now is exactly 13.5" from floor to top of bed rail.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
DropindaS-Mini said:
frame is about an 1" off the ground. there is no crossmember in place. the bed is not the original one. i still have the stock one i guess i can measure that and see the diference. give me a couple min. to post back.
soo are you "over " bodydropping to compensate for it not laying out? by your numbers im gettin just a touch under 3.5 inch bd. if thats what you did to the bed then take that much outta the walls and raise the floor the same amount. the steps in the cab should be the same amount you took outta the bed.

justy my opinion but id get it to lay frame so you can cut that "extr" body off:)

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right... i plan on taking the bed and wheels off and getting the frame under the cab on the ground. then making the cut. i just wanted to make sure that it seemed right to everyone else first.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
wait.... if the cab is cut and layd on the floor with the frame flat on the ground then when you put the bed back on, the bed will be bd more than the cab. it only takes 2.75in to get the cab even with the frame and your bed is 3.5...you could space the bed back up if you want though....

basically you need to either do exactly the same amount on the cab as you did the bed orrr 2.75 ( lay frame) and space the bed back up.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well for room inside the cab, 2.75 seems better and less of a step in the floor so i might lay frame cut 2.75" and then space the bed up 3/4" correct?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yepper. now we're on the same page:) you'll just have to make sure you lay frame out.

how far completed is the bed drop? if its just tacked., cut it more like 5-6 and hide everything under it:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts