S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
It is my first time posting on this forum so all answers are helpful and beneficial. I have a 1985 Chevrolet S10 Pickup V6 2.8L 4x4, and when removing the varajet 2 barrel carburetor to replace it I broke the fuel line. I have been looking everywhere for a replacement for the fuel line but I can't find anyone who carries it for the 2-barrel varajet. There are a lot of place that seem to to carry the quadrate, but it doesn't seem like that one is the correct part. I believe it is the hard line that connects to the fuel pump from what I have gathered so far. Does anyone have an idea as to where I can find this part? I have already checked the basic places like auto zone, advance, oreilly etc and none on them seem to carry it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
Hello,
It is my first time posting on this forum so all answers are helpful and beneficial. I have a 1985 Chevrolet S10 Pickup V6 2.8L 4x4, and when removing the varajet 2 barrel carburetor to replace it I broke the fuel line. I have been looking everywhere for a replacement for the fuel line but I can't find anyone who carries it for the 2-barrel varajet. There are a lot of place that seem to to carry the quadrate, but it doesn't seem like that one is the correct part. I believe it is the hard line that connects to the fuel pump from what I have gathered so far. Does anyone have an idea as to where I can find this part? I have already checked the basic places like auto zone, advance, oreilly etc and none on them seem to carry it.
Welcome.
You can check with Inline Tube, or buy a length of straight tube from the parts store and bend it. If it's too long, cut it and use some rubber fuel line between the two pieces of hardline.. Junkyard is an option, but those lines might be just as hard to remove.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the exact same model you have except it's a Blazer, not a pickup, and I also recently had to remove the Varajet 2SE to rebuild it. To get the fuel inlet pipe out of the inlet nut, I had to loosen the carburetor and lift it off the studs and rotate it. To reinstall it, I had to get the pipe into the inlet nut before lowering the carb over the studs. Seems like the line was made too short for easy removal -- a bad design considering that the fuel filter is inside the carb.

Past a certain point, you may have to have someone fabricate a new line since it's got to have flares on the ends to mate to the inlet nut and fuel pump connector, but this is something someone with the right tools can do. When you get to a car that's 35 years old, some parts are simply going to be NLA. I've also read that getting this metal line off the mechanical fuel pump end is no fun. But like Rhotpursuit says above, a junkyard might have one left on the car after the carb was removed.

I work on 50+ year-old guitar amps, and I've had to fabricate a lot of missing parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your help! I think I will end up purchasing a new line and bending it to work. It will probably be better in the long run in case I need to replace the carb again.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
If you haven't installed your replacement carb yet, return it and buy a Weber. It's a bolt on replacement. You will eliminate the fitting, junk internal fuel filter and wake up the 2.8.

·
Registered
170 Posts
By 1988, they were all fuel-injected with in-tank fuel pumps, so I doubt it would have the same fuel line. The metal line in question goes from the output of the mechanical fuel pump on the driver's side of the engine block up and back across the top of the engine where it makes a U-turn and enters the carb.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,601 Posts
you could go to Tractor Supply and get a sight glass fuel filter holder and splice it into the line. that would eliminate the internal filter and give you some slack in the line while making pm a breeze.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,795 Posts
Where is it broken? pics?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Try AMAZON , I use them when I can't find a part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you haven't installed your replacement carb yet, return it and buy a Weber. It's a bolt on replacement. You will eliminate the fitting, junk internal fuel filter and wake up the 2.8.
“Wake up the 2.8” got me going; mine is sleepy as a teenager on a school morning! As I’m kinda new to this stuff myself, can you recommend a good place to buy Weber carbs online? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts