S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1999 ZR2 Bald Eagle..Visually Impaired
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...cylinder 6 is , well.........., blocked...I know this because the plug exploded and now I have no idea how the heck to get it out!! Lol...kinda funny cuz I'm not currently under it..ask me how I feel tomoro...short version.4.3 zr2 , if YOU have headers, How the heck did ya get your plugs!. 99 zr2 lifted 33's...zero room for my big head, dirt driveway, my 5ton jack has already crushed my finger,broken my hand and tried to remove my head..., rather not use it

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh should say was doing cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil and sender/02s/cats/ because I'm sick of po420, sometimes po300, and the light bugs me so I'm throwing parts at it like a pissed off 35 year old teenager..yes I have a Launch scanner, yes i have a nice multimeter, can't see well enough to really use them! (Corneal transplants didn't take well)

· 94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,657 Posts
short socket-hand spinner rachet, to tighten and break loose- a piece of vacumn line slid over spark plug end to easily spin plug when loose. the only time its really hard is starting the plug. all done by feel. PS lots of patience and a ?few adult beverages and ... a couple hours. PS still easier than the plugs on a 3.8 in a firebird......

Reactions: Beasyphone

· Been there Done it
16,811 Posts
That's reason I'm taking my stainless headers off my LQ9 before ever starting it. Going to put the Holley manifolds on so that the right side plugs are accessible down the road. When installing the header I had to put the plugs in first and said to myself "This has got to go." With the A/C, radiator over flow, PCM, dipstick, and heater hoses all already on the pass side I figured if I ever had to change a plug I'd really regret using those headers because pulling them to change a plug would be a major PITA. I can't barely even see them.

Reactions: Beasyphone

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
short socket-hand spinner rachet, to tighten and break loose- a piece of vacumn line slid over spark plug end to easily spin plug when loose. the only time its really hard is starting the plug. all done by feel. PS lots of patience and a ?few adult beverages and ... a couple hours. PS still easier than the plugs on a 3.8 in a firebird......
Oh I've played with the 3.8 you aren't kidding! Yeah can't drink "big boy sodas" anymore, (led to liver/kidney failure/eye ulcers) soooo. Vacuum line ,normally yes, this has no meat left to grab really. I'll try tho. I like completely breaknoff metal and short socket idea, may be able to sneak a swivel in/ PATIENTLY play around. I'll let ya know brother, Thank you

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A piece of rubber fuel line on the porcelain will get the plug started without cross threading it.
Porcelain is non existent, it literally Exploded! It's got the center probe from "socket" yo tip just bent over looking sad lol

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's reason I'm taking my stainless headers off my LQ9 before ever starting it. Going to put the Holley manifolds on so that the right side plugs are accessible down the road. When installing the header I had to put the plugs in first and said to myself "This has got to go." With the A/C, radiator over flow, PCM, dipstick, and heater hoses all already on the pass side I figured if I ever had to change a plug I'd really regret using those headers because pulling them to change a plug would be a major PITA. I can't barely even see them.
Yeah I had jba on my 2.2 xtrene and was obviously a non-issue, dipstick tube has already attempted minor surgery on my left arm, and agreed, BARELY visible. Thinking 100ft 1/4" round stock. And making a 1pc front clip lol..might be easier! Jk obviously. I don't have enough zipties to secure the 700lbs of crap gm plugged in under that hood lol. Aight ill see if I find an answer for the next guy. 2 and 4 were easy enough with 1 short ext. Knuckle, 1 long....both were place socket from top, crank from wheel well

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cyl 6 accomplished..hammer? Meet inner fender, extention and med.16(after breaking remaining plug) meet impact driver... 3 screaming matches and shes out

Anytime I see someone ask about headers on a 4.3, I say to stay away. After mine had them, it was a PITA. I went back with manifolds.
MY update, 3 02s,cap,rotor plugs wires coil/sender,4 rotors,ordered 2 cats from Flowmaster. Po300 po420 gone, truck is great sgain....next time I need plugs, it will be for sale haha

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't help it.......

Doing plugs when you have JBA's is Exhausting!!!
It's OK my kids didn't laugh either

· Registered
1,066 Posts
How often are you guys swapping plugs? There's no reason they won't last 100K and be just as good at that mileage as new.

Those and oil pump swaps (for low oil pressure) are the two biggest wastes of time and money with ZERO gains when finished.

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You missed the point...use the hose next time.
The hose trick wasn't working, used to do that all the time working on boats in the 90s. Easiest fastest way to gain needed room was snap.off and Shorty socket,....and now I'll never have to do it again...so yay...also just did front end 14 pc tune up ...tie rods balls control arms etc...rides brand new ...and please for the love of God, I can spell fine brother. I just had double corneal transplants...I can't see!!!

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How often are you guys swapping plugs? There's no reason they won't last 100K and be just as good at that mileage as new.

Those and oil pump swaps (for low oil pressure) are the two biggest wastes of time and money with ZERO gains when finished.
I hadn't changed mine since I took her off nitrous almost 4 years ago! As the front end was coming all apart for steering. Suspension and having the codes why not throw another 100 bucks for plugs you know are currently the wrong temp??

· Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New one tho...I ground off the pins for the tailgate hangers. Yeah...now my gate is 🔒 I pulled the whole thing out made sure the left and right side pullers were seated again annnnd...still locked...locked SHUT now..so that's ok..but ugh...yeah, anyone done the "true bolt on" relocation? BTW I do not mind cutting a hole in the inside either...just really don't want to use my buzzbox on the skin..iys a 95 POS (the buzzbox) lol I love my Zr2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.