S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here- please help me out.

I drive a 1999 Tacoma with the first Gen TRD Eton Blower (6psi). I am happy with the way the truck performs as a daily driver (25K anually). Never threw a DRC in 50K. Runs a little lean on the top end, but drivability is pretty good.

I have been given the task of choosing a SUpercharger for my best friend and also my uncle. They both have 2003 ZR2 Sonomas.

I initially thought the Powerdyne would be a good value, but then learned the kit for the 2002 is more $. Turns out they offer the kit without headers for the 03, but have not firmed up a price. I am concerned that the Powerdyne will be a high maintenance unit and the overall kit is not packaged that well.

I want something I can install on the trucks in a weeked (for each one) and I will not have to mess with it after it is on.

Enter the Vortech. Better name, less issues than Powerdyne..etc. Summit even says they will discount me for buyint 2 at once.

Vortech says they do not include the 2003 in the scope of their kit since they have not tried to install one. I've hear the 99 and older use a different alternator- So does anyone know how much of a bolt on the Vortech kit would be for a 2003 Sonoma?

In my initial ignorance, I used the Mach web site to ask for a non intercooled , value based package to which I never received a reply (can blame them). I am slowly warming up to the Mach package (from initial sticker shock) and feel it may be the best choice. I do not want to worry about MAF DTC, lots of fuel tuning and guess work I am not equipped to do etc.

I do not want to have to buy additional components like MSD boost timing retard units and the sort. I I factored thoes things in, I'm sure I would be much closer to the Mach price than it initially appeared.

What is the best kit for a person who is looking for Tacoma (or better performance 216 RWH @ 6PSI) and Tacoma trouble free drivablility in a Supercharged SOnoma package? I am not bashing, we are familiar with my Tacoma and so that it the benchmark for wich we would like to achieve.

Best regards,

Paul T

·
Registered
197 Posts
Best thing to do is call and ask for the information. I get about 50-100 emails a day to try to respond to and it's tough to keep up and we fall behind sometimes. Also people playing the lame virus pranks sometimes gives us down time with email response.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must appologize, there were a few type-O's in the first post.

Meant to say I don't blame the Mach guys since my initial request was kinda lame and uneducated

·
Registered
160 Posts
easiest bolt on to a stock truck is the powerdyne, hands down.

I dont understand the high maintenance thing on the powerdyne... mine has been on for 16k miles now, 1 year and 3 months... I cleaned the outside of it once a little cuz it had some dirt on it. They say change the belt after 50k miles, but I'll blow it up or sell it by then.

I commute 50 miles to/from work every day and needed good power without overkill. I'm not nice to it, and so far so good.

later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to hear a Powerdyne user who is happy. After seeing your list of mods, I wonder how well the Powerdyne would work on a stock 2003 Sonoma ZR2.

The choices have basically come down to cheaper Powerdyne with less power OR Mach ProCharger.

The original intention of the post was to consider the situation just as you have. I am wondering if the Mach kit as is on a stock truck would be better (more reliable, better tuned, and more power) than a Powerdyne with...headers, MSD, throttle plate mod, PCM re-flash, aftermarket fuel pump, and after market exhaust.

I do not mean to knock your package. I'm sure it works great. I am concerned that with all the other items, I potentially could have more $ into them than the Mach kit.

I will have to call Bill tomorrow and find out how elegant his kit is. It is not my intention to have a truck filled with aftermarket items as it will be more labor intensive for me to try and tune all of the different components to work in harmony. A tough job on two truck I don't drive normally. I suspect Bill has a pretty good handel on a robust tune for this application that would work as a baseline from which little to no "tweaking" need to be done.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats just the thing... If you bolt a powerdyne on a stock truck, it works great. Its when you start adding all the other junk that you need to start tuning it. My truck went 16.8 stock. 16.4 with gibson cat back and K&N FIPK. 15.2 with powerdyne stock system, no other upgrades. 14.8 after other upgrades and tuning. In theory, say your 03 runs like 17.2 or something (I'm assuming its 4wd if its ZR2). By bolting on the powerdyne and nothing else, you'd prob pick up 1-1.3 seconds, or around 60-80 underhood horsepower. Thats a difference you definately feel. Is it "fast"??? No. Will you surprise the guy in the ZR2 next to you off the line?? Hell yeah.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the kits really. Its all about having a game plan on what you expect from them and what you plan to do with the truck over the next few years.

later

1 - 6 of 6 Posts