S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought the RCA adapter that plugs into RCA's in the back of the stock headunit. It adapts from RCA to an aux line for an ipod or w/e. Now my question is when I install my sub would this setup work? This may be a really dumb question, but I think that the sub plugs into the RCA hookups in the back if I'm correct. Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
not sure if your radio has pre-outs (ability to send signal outgoing from the radio) like to hook up a sub... if that is an aux hook-up than I believe it to only allow in-coming signals... I am no expert and I could be wayyy off but thats my 2cents... from my understanding they are either ins or outs I dont think they can do both.

·
Blazin on 8!
1,782 Posts
If you have AUX inputs, yes. You can hook up your Ipod to your head unit. If you have pre-outs, YES. You can hook up an amplifier to power your subs/speakers. If you have and AUX input and pre-outs, you can do both... If you only have one or the other, you can't do both.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you have AUX inputs, yes. You can hook up your Ipod to your head unit. If you have pre-outs, YES. You can hook up an amplifier to power your subs/speakers. If you have and AUX input and pre-outs, you can do both... If you only have one or the other, you can't do both.
Ok......now the question is does anyone know if I have either? I have the dash apart right now cuz I'm painting it, but I won't take the head unit out til tomorrow night, so if anyone knows now that'd be great. It's a 2000. The link for what it looks like is up a few posts.

·
Blazin on 8!
1,782 Posts
Well, I just now looked at the pic. I didn't know it's a stock head unit. It shows an AUX function, so I would guess you have AUX inputs... Sorry, no pre-outs. You'll have to use line-level inputs for your amp.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The aux feature on that stock GM deck is a approx 6-pin plug by itself on the back. I have successfully wired a raw RCA onto its Left, Right and Ground leads to complete a input for a handsfree cell kit to work through the speakers. So I know that if you had that plug and a spare RCA to split, it would work OK.

As far as the output to sub, you can use a good Line Out Converter on the speaker outputs which turns the hi-level signal into a low-level RCA type output. That would go to your amp through RCA wires.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The aux feature on that stock GM deck is a approx 6-pin plug by itself on the back. I have successfully wired a raw RCA onto its Left, Right and Ground leads to complete a input for a handsfree cell kit to work through the speakers. So I know that if you had that plug and a spare RCA to split, it would work OK.

As far as the output to sub, you can use a good Line Out Converter on the speaker outputs which turns the hi-level signal into a low-level RCA type output. That would go to your amp through RCA wires.
Ok, yea I found the pin connecter. I think I counted 9. Do you know if they make anything that plugs into it and then I can wire it from there? If not, which pins did you figure were right left and ground?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I will have to search my notes that are in a binder in my shop at home.

That connector is found on S-series trucks and suv's that had the console and seperare tape or CD player in the console.
Also 95-99 Tahoes/Burbs and 95-98 C/K trucks had the plug if they also had the seperate CD player in the lower dash.

You could snag the plug from one of those vehicles in a junkyard.
Ill see if I got one laying around to sell you.
Also check Perepheral and PIE for an aux input adapter for those listed year vehicles. They might make a part that already has RCA and/or 3.5mm input and the GM plug on it.

Check also behind your radio and see if you have that plug already in there. The fact your deck has the AUX button could mean it has the plug sitting behind there. If its not pluged in, it could be folded over and taped to the other wire harness in there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I checked and it doesnt have a plug back there. The sights say that 95-99 with the 9 pin connecter won't work, however '00 and up will. I have a '00. Also, I was wondering if it'd be just easier if i picked up a new radio seeing as it'd almost as expensive to buy an adapter, and that way I'd have sub pre-outs and the aux line input as well. But let me know if you have any lying around, and if not I'll take a trip to the junk yard. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
factory stereos never have RCA inputs just so you know. the only way your gonna get control of your subwoofer is a Hi-to-Low Adaptor and you may want a bass knob so you can control the bass. the bass knobs on the stereo are only gonna control the bass to the door speakers

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
factory stereos never have RCA inputs just so you know. the only way your gonna get control of your subwoofer is a Hi-to-Low Adaptor and you may want a bass knob so you can control the bass. the bass knobs on the stereo are only gonna control the bass to the door speakers
really?????

how do you figure?

if you have a hi-lo adapter spliced into the door speakers(or dash speakers,or rear speakers) to control a sub amp...how is the bass control NOT going to control the bass to the sub amp?????????

i mean,that's like saying the volume control won't control the subs even though the amp is spliced into the wires that the volume control controls...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts