S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a year my fuel gauge mostly don't work. The hand usually hangs at the level position, a half-inch or 45 degrees past the F ull mark. Except sometimes when it thinks it best to go for a run and turns, I think, several laps, as in 360 degrees just to show it can, whipping about like crazy. But then again it will, about every week, suddenly give me an exact fuel reading. At which point, when I think it has self-fixed itself, it goes back to the level position, like the sullen 16 year-old it is. Or, alternately, we will hit a bump and it will suddenly reveal how much fuel I have left. I have only run out of gas twice, btw.

So, it's about time I fixed this dern thing. I suspect it is a loose electrical connection. Where? I hope it is not in the fuel tank/fuel pump region. in the dash? I hope not. All the other gauges are fine.

Know that I love this critter. It has about 250,000 miles on it, uses little oil, and most weekends it pulls a horse trailer high into the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon. Of course, I had the trailer specially designed to tow behind this rig.

It is a wonder. Right now, I only need help with the gauge.
Thanks for any hints. I have no idea of the wiring involved, actually.
Mavrick

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Check the ground by the fuel filler neck, should be mounted to the frame along with another ground strap from the fuel filler neck. If that's not the problem, it's probably a bad sending unit, which is in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very full, fast, and on-the-money help! Wow! My '94 Sonoma 2.2 and I thank you very much. A good citizen, I will report back here when we get the problem solved. Right now a good bit of mountain snow separates me and my mechanic friend, but comes a thaw....

Mavrick

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Good luck, hopefully it's just a bad ground wire. I know when I replaced my fuel filter neck I missed the ground wire and it made my fuel gauge go way past full.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, oh, yea. It sounds like the problem I got. That ground sounds loose. I'm holding my breath. Don't want to have to empty the gas tank to replace the sending unit.

Mavrick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to congratulate the young man who posted about my bonkers fuel gauge that "Check the ground by the fuel filler neck, should be mounted to the frame along with another ground strap from the fuel filler neck." He was right. I had it fixed by a friend yesterday. Took 30 minutes. A great website. Saved me the cost of installing an in-tank fuel gauge sending unit.
Mavrick

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Well I replaced my old fuel filler neck back in highschool. And after getting the new one in, I failed to notice the wire from the fuel tank, I only had seen the strap from the fuel filler, so yea. I learned the hard way in a sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts