S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 S-10 with a 2.2L, regular cab and I have 136,xxx miles on it. When i accelerate I hear a rattling noise like something being shaken in an empty metal can. I was just wondering if it could be my original cat or my dynomax turbo muffler that I havhad for about five months and 6,000 miles any suggestions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming that it is because it sounds like it is coming from the exhaust system because when I hit the gas hard it starts to rattle, but when I put it in like first or second and run it to a higher rpm at a slow pace not much rattling occurs. If it is not in the exhaust where could it be?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
im not sure - i have a rattling, clattering sound that i think is coming from the transmission, because i just had the cat replaced last year. can you have someone get in it and rev it some, with you outside to really hear where the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem when i got to about 60k on my 2000 4.3 dime, it raddled at the begining of shift points and gradually after. I took my stock exhaust off and threw on a dual flowmaster, i have not heard the raddling since.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I rev my engine in park or in nuetral i don't here any type of rattiling noise only when i'm in drive. Also if I have it in drive and don't touch the gas or the brake and just coast I here a slight sqeaking noise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
take it to a shop, see if its your catconverter. if so your lookin at about 100$ for a good one. if not its the exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the same problem with mine. Ended up just being the stock exhaust, got a 40 series flowmaster put on and there is no more rattling.

·
stock again
441 Posts
i had the exact same boise on my 2.2 at 70k, but after about two weeks it gradually progressed from a rattle, to a higher pitched squeaking. this sound like the same thing you guys had? i got to get this firgured out, cause its driving me nuts. i know my manifold is cracked, but i didnt find any leaks in my exhaust anywhere.

·
stock again
441 Posts
yeah, im pretty sure i need u-joints, but would that cause a rattle when on the gas, and in gear? it seems like u-joints would only rattle or squeak when you first start in 1st, and when shifting up? but maybe im wrong there

·
baggin' in
218 Posts
U-Joints

My dads u-joint went out on his Hombre with about 70k on his truck, I would replace those, if that doesn;t work spend the money and get good exhaust, unlike me ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
On my 2000 4.3 2wd ext cab sonoma,
I had the rattling muffer replace 5 times under warranty.
They would last about 2000 miles then start rattling again.
It only rattled after shifting gears, when I was getting into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts